• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU corruption "equivalent to the bloc's annual budget"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So to summarise, the UKIP will cut ties with it's main trading parteners Germany, Benelux and France, and forge stronger ties with less corrupt countries such as China and India.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      Given the diversity of viewpoints within Europe and among MEPs that's an incredibly silly statement. There is no way they could be in opposition to all the diverse views within the EU unless they opposed their own opinions.
      UKIP are in agreement with those voices in the EU that want shot of the EU, if that is what you mean?

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      But if they're not attending then how can they find out about these 'bad things?' Personally I think they're worse than benefit cheats as they're screwing a system for their own interests and guess what, you're paying them to do this as well as voting for them (which means you approve of it...)
      Once you recognise that a dog is a dog, you don't need to spend all day looking at its fleas to be sure it is still a dog.

There is no comparison with being a benefits cheat. Those who elected UKIP MEP's did so because they want to encourage UKIP to lead the UK out of the EU. If the best way to do this is to only spend a small amount of time in Brussels and the rest campaigning within the UK then those who voted for them will be pleased with this approach.

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      So to summarise, the UKIP will cut ties with it's main trading parteners Germany, Benelux and France, and forge stronger ties with less corrupt countries such as China and India.
      It will cut its political ties with our main trading partners, whilst shoring up our trading relationships with them.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
        There is no comparison with being a benefits cheat. Those who elected UKIP MEP's did so because they want to encourage UKIP to lead the UK out of the EU. If the best way to do this is to only spend a small amount of time in Brussels and the rest campaigning within the UK then those who voted for them will be pleased with this approach.
        And what of all the people who didn't vote for them? The job is to represent a constituency, not just those who voted for you.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

UKIP are not responsible for the actions of the EU parliament - they have a very little influence on it.
          UKIP's MEPs are just as responsible as any other MEPs for the actions of the EU parliament; that's why they get paid to turn up and vote.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            UKIP's MEPs are just as responsible as any other MEPs for the actions of the EU parliament; that's why they get paid to turn up and vote.
            I don't see how they can be. MEPs don't have much power in the EU.

Comment

Look at what I said; "UKIP's MEPs are just as responsible as any other MEPs for the actions of the EU parliament; that's why they get paid to turn up and vote." Your statement does nothing to negate that. If MEPs don't have much power, then UKIP's MEPs have just as little or great power as any other MEPs, therefore they are just as responsible as any other MEPs for the European parliament's decisions (which I would grant you sometimes seem rather wacky).
              Last edited by Mich the Tester; 5 February 2014, 10:07.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Really?

The adoption of nearly all EU legislation requires the approval of both the European Parliament and the Council of the European Union. Under the co-decision procedure, they each have up to three readings of legislative proposals put forward by the European Commission in which they can each amend the proposal, but must ultimately approve a text in identical terms for it to be passed.

MEPs also elect the President of the Commission, on the basis of a proposal by the European Council and, following public hearings of the candidates, approve the appointment of the Commission as a whole. The Parliament may also dismiss the Commission in a vote of no-confidence. MEPs may table parliamentary questions for Question time or for a written answer.

International agreements entered into by the European Union (e.g. WTO, trade agreements, etc.) must be approved by the European Parliament, as must the accession of new Member States to the Union.

The EU's annual budget is adopted jointly by Parliament and the Council of the European Union, within overall limit on EU spending decided on by unanimous agreement of all Member States and a multilateral Financial Framework laid down by Council with Parliament's consent.

The Parliament may also block certain Commission decisions where there has been a delegation of powers to the Commission and may repeal such delegation of powers.

The Parliament also elects the European Ombudsman and holds hearings with candidates for the President and Board members of European Central Bank, the Court of Auditors and various EU agencies.
                So pretty much diddley squat...
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Look at what I said; "UKIP's MEPs are just as responsible as any other MEPs for the actions of the EU parliament; that's why they get paid to turn up and vote." Your statement does nothing to negate that. If MEPs don't have much power, then UKIP's MEPs have just as little or great power as any other MEPs, therefore they are just as responsible as any other MEPs for the European parliament's decisions (which I would grant you sometimes seem rather wacky).
                  But how much control over the actions of the EU as a whole come from the EU Parliament? Most of the bad stuff comes out of the ECHR and European Commission and various other random euro bodies, which have all the hallmarks of communism about them.

Wouldn't it be better to have a parliament and government that are 100% dedicated to promoting the best interests of the UK, rather than having to try to agree things with representatives of other countries?

Comment

Wouldn't it be better to have a parliament and government that are 100% dedicated to promoting the best interests of the UK, rather than having to try to agree things with representatives of other countries?
                    Well that counts out the UK government which seems to only interested in promoting the interests of itself and business :-) Perhaps they could outsource to one of the their new trading partners once they leave the EU ...
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      Well that counts out the UK government which seems to only interested in promoting the interests of itself and business :-)
                      Good point.
                      Part of my motivation for supporting UKIP is because they are new blood. As a contractor I am naturally tory, but I feel that the current tory party have become complacent and corrupt.
                      UKIP have many of the policies of traditional tories, and the tories need a "spring clean".

Comment

Working...
                      X