• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Six-year-old schoolboy suspended for having Mini Cheddars in his lunchbox

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    So it does.
    I know, I'd read it before I posted about the school.

• Repeated behaviour examples from Step 2 or 3.
    HTHBIVVMDI
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Does the school issue a list of exactly what foods one may eat?
      No, in fact there is no evidence of the healthy eating policy on their website at all.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

<pedant>

I see the words 'asked', 'plan', 'refrain' - none of those say this is an absolute rule on penalty of <insert punishment>

And who defines what a 'balanced meal' is?

</pedant>

We had the same with mini-R. She got so fed up of bland, 'approved healthy' school meals which seemed to consist of stuff we'd say was the opposite, we started sending her with pack lunches. That straight away got her segregated to the 'packed lunch' table like they're a bunch of lepers.

Occasionally we'll send her in with a bottle of Ribena as she gets fed up of having water all the time (fair enough, I'd be fed up of water all the time too). The school's response has been to not allow kids to throw away the packaging of unapproved food-stuffs in the school bins, it must go home (presumably to point out the naughtiness of our ways). Healthy waste is allowed though

IMO it's the responsibility of the parents if a packed lunch is being provided. If the school's meals are being used then fair enough they can dictate what goes in them.
        Gronda Gronda

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
          HTHBIVVMDI
          IVMDI too, because it doesn't, but thanks for your input. Are you perchance a failed primary school head teacher?

Nowhere in there or elsewhere on their website does it mention the healthy eating policy and what is allowed or not allowed to be eaten. Which is sad as I'd really like to see it.

Personally I would ask questions about the head teacher, I'd wager he lacks the gravitas and leadership skills required for the job if he needs to resort to suspending a 6 year old over anything other than the most extreme behaviour. I certainly can't imagine something like this happening at my son's school, they are all far too reasonable.

The school claims, while not giving any details, that
          an exclusion did take place, but the school is bound by
          strict confidentiality rules regarding parents and pupils and is,
          therefore, unable to discuss the details behind any one specific
          exclusion. However, it is extremely disappointing that the media
          have been provided with such grossly misleading information
          which has resulted in them running a wholly inaccurate and
          potentially damaging story for our school.
          so it may be there is more to it than meets the eye, although they don't deny it was related to the healthy eating policy.

Edit:

Colnbrook CE Primary School

Provide Strategic direction for the work and imporvementof the school.
          Last edited by doodab; 3 February 2014, 15:09.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Nowhere in there or elsewhere on their website does it mention the healthy eating policy and what is allowed or not allowed to be eaten. Which is sad as I'd really like to see it.
            It does say to ring the school and they will give you copies of policies, though, so maybe try that. Whether they will circulate the policy to non-parents is something you'd have to ask the school. But if you want to get hold of it, then that might be a good starting point for you - their phone number is 01753 683661.

Personally I would ask questions about the head teacher, I'd wager he lacks the gravitas and leadership skills required for the job if he needs to resort to suspending a 6 year old over anything other than the most extreme behaviour.
            The Ofsted letter from May last year is reasonably positive about the head teacher:
            Originally posted by ofsted
            The headteacher has a comprehensive understanding of what constitutes good teaching. During this inspection he was observed giving feedback to staff about their teaching. The feedback was very pertinent and well rounded so that teachers gained a very clear understanding of the strengths and areas for development. The headteacher’s ability to give very accurate feedback is one of the key reasons that teaching is improving. His clear understanding of the school strengths and weaknesses means that opportunities for continuing professional development are geared more closely to teachers’ professional needs.
            so it may be there is more to it than meets the eye, although they don't deny it was related to the healthy eating policy.
            Almost certainly, there is. And it's unlikely that we're going to find out all the facts about what has happened here.
            I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Personally I would ask questions about the head teacher, I'd wager he lacks the gravitas and leadership skills required for the job if he needs to resort to suspending a 6 year old over anything other than the most extreme behaviour.[/url]
              Well, he is called Mr Meek...

Comment

Would a packet of Ritz be acceptable?

Comment

Only problem was violating the school's rules, and even then it's a parent issue more than a child one.

Comment

Old story, but I wonder if Smartie sandwiches are still allowed?

Comment

As it happens, mini-cheddars are not actually that bad. A 25g bag is about the same calories as 1 and a half chocolate biscuits.
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X