• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Six-year-old schoolboy suspended for having Mini Cheddars in his lunchbox

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    There are lots of studies showing that sugar doesn't cause hyperactivity. Some additives might, but the "sugar high" is a myth.

Debunking a Halloween myth: Sugar and hyperactivity | Scope Blog
    Ah, interesting thanks. Although the point still stands for other additives causing issues I assume?

If this is the sort of muddle headed madness the school is codifying into rules then parents have every right to dispute them IMO. Although I suppose it's perfect preparation for life in modern Britain.
    Indeed they do but this is not how you go about doing it.
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Am surprised no one has made comment about the family yet

The 24-year-old, who is pregnant with her fourth child
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
        Ah, interesting thanks. Although the point still stands for other additives causing issues I assume?
        Some of them. Ironically many of them are found in some seemingly "healthy" juice based drinks like oasis, which are probably allowed. I'm sure the people making the rules took all that into consideration though.

http://www.ukfoodguide.net/childrensfoodsanddrinks.htm

Quite a lot of healthy sounding non fizzy drinks on that list.
        Last edited by doodab; 3 February 2014, 12:49.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Some of them. Ironically many of them are found in some seemingly "healthy" juice based drinks like oasis, which are probably allowed. I'm sure the people making the rules took all that into consideration though.
          In my wife's school (she is a teacher) they are only allowed water for that reason. My daughter has the choice of water or milk as she is only 5.

Comment

If this is the sort of muddle headed madness the school is codifying into rules then parents have every right to dispute them IMO.
            Disputing a rule does not give you the right to ignore it until the matter is settled.
            They have the right to raise their objections and campaign for the rule to be changed. They have the right to withdraw their child from that school and send them elsewhere that doesn't enforce the rule.
            They don't have the right to say "We disagree, so we'll ignore it."

It's the same as a school having a uniform rule, a no knives rules, rules on daily start / end times or whatever - agreeing to those rules is part of the "contract" parents enter into when choosing to send their kids there. You can't then ignore them and expect that it will be fine.

Comment

There is no such thing as bad food or junk food, there is only bad diet.

There is so much shockingly bad nutrition advice going about just now, part of that comes from fad diets and the other part is where people are told that foods are either good for you or bad for you. The school seems to be indulging in the latter.

When you have idiots with power it always ends up going bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                It's the same as a school having a uniform rule, a no knives rules, rules on daily start / end times or whatever - agreeing to those rules is part of the "contract" parents enter into when choosing to send their kids there. You can't then ignore them and expect that it will be fine.
                And what happens when rules are introduced half way through the child's education? Or if taking the kid out of school isn't an option because it would result in potential legal sanctions?
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

And what happens when rules are introduced half way through the child's education? Or if taking the kid out of school isn't an option because it would result in potential legal sanctions?
                  This is what I was wondering. Are these privately funded schools?

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                    This is what I was wondering. Are these privately funded schools?
                    I also think that parents have a reasonable expectation that a school will have rules about hours, uniform, and not bringing weapons in. Although I think requesting parents provide healthy packed lunches is also reasonable, micromanaging diet and dishing out suspensions because a particular foodstuff doesn't meet some jumped up little hitler's idea of healthy certainly isn't, especially when they are operating from behind a wall of blissful ignorance.

Comment

I also think that parents have a reasonable expectation that a school will have rules about hours, uniform, and not bringing weapons in. Although I think requesting parents provide healthy packed lunches is also reasonable, micromanaging diet and dishing out suspensions because a particular foodstuff doesn't meet some jumped up little hitler's idea of healthy certainly isn't, especially when they are operating from behind a wall of blissful ignorance.
                      They were given a suspension because they refused to follow the rules laid down by the school. That is standard practice for repeated infractions.

The parents knew the rules and refused to follow them, how trivial would it have been for the parents to switch the snack? If they wish to appeal the rule they can but they cannot just refuse to follow it without suffering the consequences.

Comment

Working...
                      X