• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Six-year-old schoolboy suspended for having Mini Cheddars in his lunchbox

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd send him to school with fruit: Durian, the world's smelliest fruit, goes on sale in Britain | Life and style | theguardian.com
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        As it happens, mini-cheddars are not actually that bad. A 25g bag is about the same calories as 1 and a half chocolate biscuits.
        Irrelevant to the child's suspension though. The rules are already in place, they can be challenged via the appropriate means but not just ignored.
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
          Irrelevant to the child's suspension though. The rules are already in place, they can be challenged via the appropriate means but not just ignored.
          The mini cheddars are clearly a grey area being neither sweets nor crisps, and we don't know they were explicitly banned. As I pointed out you cannot rationally ban them without banning a lot of other stuff. What about ham, sausages and other preserved meats which are proven to increase incidence of cancer? What about cheese which is high in saturated fat? What about countless "healthy" drinks with various e numbers in?

It's a misguided policy that needs challenging, and it seems fairly obvious that the school doesn't have "appropriate means" for challenging it or they would have addressed it that way rather than resorting to suspension.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I'd be quite cheesed off about this if I was that boy's father. Still tons of kids get suspended for really minor offences but the school should think more Caerphilly about their policy given recent research saying that cheese can help people who want to lose weight.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...dy-claims.html

Last edited by Mich the Tester; 4 February 2014, 11:29.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              It's a misguided policy that needs challenging, and it seems fairly obvious that the school doesn't have "appropriate means" for challenging it or they would have addressed it that way rather than resorting to suspension.
              It does not really seem obvious to me, there is no mention of the PTA being asked to review the (slightly overzealous) dietary policy or that the headmaster had discussed it with parents etc. Even if there was absolutely no way that anyone involved in the decision making process could be contacted then the rules are still the rules, refuse to follow them and you will be punished.

I have no problem with mini cheddars and they are not banned in my daughter's school, I am pretty sure I have put them in her lunch box before.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                It does not really seem obvious to me, there is no mention of the PTA being asked to review the (slightly overzealous) dietary policy or that the headmaster had discussed it with parents etc. Even if there was absolutely no way that anyone involved in the decision making process could be contacted then the rules are still the rules, refuse to follow them and you will be punished.
                It seems obvious that any reasonable person would have used an alternative means to resolve the dispute if such means existed, as suspending a 6 year old is clearly a last resort. The only way I can see it would have got to this stage is if the school were being absolutely pig headed and refusing to listen to any appeal to reason. As it is, they seem to have made something of an error of judgement and bought adverse publicity upon themselves.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

It seems obvious that any reasonable person would have used an alternative means to resolve the dispute if such means existed, as suspending a 6 year old is clearly a last resort. The only way I can see it would have got to this stage is if the school were being absolutely pig headed and refusing to listen to any appeal to reason. As it is, they seem to have made something of an error of judgement and bought adverse publicity upon themselves.
                  It could be the parents are equally pig-headed, and are making a big song and dance about sending their kid in with 'bad' food to prove a point, forcing the school's hand. Hard to imagine in the rarefied air of CUK General that anyone would behave this way, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the parents are dicks and the head got fed up of them.

Not suggesting that's how it went down, just an alternative that doesn't seem implausible.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The only way I can see it is that the child kept bringing in unhealthy (by the schools definition which is the only definition which matters in the school) lunches containing items that were explicitly disallowed and, after repeated warnings, continually refused to obey the rules and was punished in accordance with the school's disciplinary policy concerning wilful defiance.

The school are not obliged to back down to someone who just refuses to follow the rules on this, or any other, issue. The more the family refused to do as they were told the more the school would need to dig it's heels in otherwise everyone would see that the rules will be changed for them if they refuse to follow them for long enough.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      It could be the parents are equally pig-headed, and are making a big song and dance about sending their kid in with 'bad' food to prove a point, forcing the school's hand. Hard to imagine in the rarefied air of CUK General that anyone would behave this way, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the parents are dicks and the head got fed up of them.

Not suggesting that's how it went down, just an alternative that doesn't seem implausible.
                      Or they're busy, rushed, stressed, have already swapped crisps for mini cheddars and chocolate bar for dairy lee dunkers in an attempt to comply and don't have time to prepare fresh vegetable salad in the morning before school.

Or possibly somewhere in the middle ground.

Comment

Working...
                      X