• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

144mph speeding A19 drivers given suspended jail terms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    You expect scooterscot to be rational? If only he had clients with work to keep him busy and friends to actually interact with....
    Did the drivers own a Mac though?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

I recall a case in fife where a driver got done for dangerously driving his bmw m3, again 140mph+
      Memory can play tricks. Are you sure that wasn't this guy?

"We're delighted the original acquittal has been overturned and only sorry that Klos has not been imprisoned for his high-risk offending that could have so easily cost lives."
      The 'vehicle being safe at this speed' is a complete non-argument. At twice the speed limit the stopping distance is greater and your time to react to hazards much reduced. That is why it is illegal and rightly so. Pleading innocent on that basis is likely to get you a higher sentence, I would imagine.
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
        Did the drivers own a Mac though?
        Not just any mac though. It need a really big, really expensive hard drive because it made it really, really expensive for no good reason.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          The lead driver should have pleaded innocent, and demonstrated the car was safe to drive at that speed
          Hey I didn't know you were legally qualified.

Funny though that when I got busted for speeding recently and was in court, my solicitor (an expert in this area of law) advised me to plead guilty and mitigate. I got off pretty lightly in the circumstances.

But what does he know, eh? Had I followed your legal advice, maybe I'd have got off completely

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Hey I didn't know you were legally qualified.

Funny though that when I got busted for speeding recently and was in court, my solicitor (an expert in this area of law) advised me to plead guilty and mitigate. I got off pretty lightly in the circumstances.

But what does he know, eh? Had I followed your legal advice, maybe I'd have got off completely
            Not quite. I reckon following Scooter's advice it would be

merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Rally drivers approach high speeds on roads in far less condition than the A19, but is it considered dangerous?
              But then rally drivers dont have other people on the road to think about. Completely different.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Please make a case for driving at 140mph on a road which has crossings and people pulling into the fast lane while braking to reach the central reservation, and often has stationary cars in the central reservation right next to the fast lane, being safe.

Motorways and autobahns have slip-roads to remove these sources of danger.
                EXACTLY. More like an argument for driving fast because I like it and think I'm cool.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
                  The prosecution argument would be on the basis of the number of accidents that occur on that stretch of road, the number of times that traffic comes to a sudden stop, the number of times there are obstructions in the outside lane etc. etc.

The combination of those factors would be enough to show that driving in excess of the speed limit would be dangerous. Trying to argue that it isn't dangerous, based on the assumption that they were driving a BMW, is ridiculous.
                  Exactly. If BMW can prove to me that ploughing into the back of a stationary vehicle turning right (as I understand can happen on this road) at > 140mph will result in no injuries to occupants of either vehicle then I'll buy one tomorrow.

At the end of the day, their metal cars. If you mule into something at this speed someone is going to die (unless their in a tank).

Comment

Accidents just down the road from where this was filmed:
                    • A 77-year-old driver was killed in a car crash while crossing the southbound A19 at the junction. Marjory Cook, of Hutton Rudby, died in Middlesbrough General Hospital on May 27, 2001.
                    • Hairdresser Joanne Devine, 22, from Tawney Close, Eston, was killed crossing the junction in May 2002. Her death prompted Teesside Coroner Michael Sheffield to write to the Highways Agency highlighting the junction’s safety record.
                    • In March 2003 Mr Sheffield called for action to be taken at the blackspot after a crash claimed a young woman’s life.
                    • In August 2003, Myra Ann Gray, 75, of Brancepeth, County Durham, was one of two who died after a crash there.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

I recall a case in fife where a driver got done for dangerously driving his bmw m3, again 140mph+ on the M9. The judge threw the case out when the defendant had a representative from bmw testify that it was indeed safe to drive the car at that speed. Because of double jeopardy law the police could not charge him again with the lesser charge of speeding.
                      No he didn't.

Comment

Working...
                      X