• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

JP Morgan building plunge victim was IT chief at bank

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Greed.

Let me explain how that works. I offer you £100k to do a job. You say no. I offer you £200k. And you say well, no. So on and so forth until I offer you £XXX you're prepared to take any crap I hand you.

Eventually the money cannot cover the underlying emotions of your actions. You feel isolated. You could walk away but that would mean leaving the money. I can't do that so the isolation now becomes entrapment. There's no way out. Or is there.

Greed.
    Sadly this is probably very true.

Comment

The manager of my department at the Bank of England stabbed himself to death too.

Very sad.
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
        There are IT staff taking crap there for £25-40k day in/day out, ok they may be juniors but nevertheless still emotionally vulnerable like all human beings.

I didn't know the guy when I was there but he was there a long time and most V.P. level staff like him at JP Morgan are usually the most secure in their jobs often leading a team of workers and responsible for something that cannot be done away with easily. So I am curious to find out what was the root cause of this problem. I mean no IT job in the City is worth killing yourself over, I was never sacked or made redundant ever but I didn't care if it ever came to that - for me it would have just meant a forced change not the end of the world.

If you 'really' get to know IT staff in the city most of them hate/dislike their jobs immensely and only put up with it because of the money, they don't go their to socialize regularly or to make life long friends.
        But according to JP Morgan's spokesperson, "we are deeply saddened to have lost a member of the JP Morgan family at 25 Bank Street today."

Are you saying it isn't all happy families there? Isn't that corporatespeak statement not just a bit nauseating?
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          But according to JP Morgan's spokesperson, "we are deeply saddened to have lost a member of the JP Morgan family at 25 Bank Street today."

Are you saying it isn't all happy families there? Isn't that corporatespeak statement not just a bit nauseating?
          How quaint, they call themselves a "family".

It's a nasty, vindictive place to work.
          'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
          Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post

Sounds like family to me
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              Greed.

Let me explain how that works. I offer you £100k to do a job. You say no. I offer you £200k. And you say well, no. So on and so forth until I offer you £XXX you're prepared to take any crap I hand you.

Eventually the money cannot cover the underlying emotions of your actions. You feel isolated. You could walk away but that would mean leaving the money. I can't do that so the isolation now becomes entrapment. There's no way out. Or is there.

Greed.
              And this is effecting people to the point where they take their own lives? :-( that is FUBAR
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

I thought it would be. I did a few months in an IB back in 2006; it wasn't my kind of place. Apparently everyone else there was a genius. I didn't meet a single one I could call a happy genius though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  I thought it would be. I did a few months in an IB back in 2006; it wasn't my kind of place. Apparently everyone else there was a genius. I didn't meet a single one I could call a happy genius though.
                  Yep, they are just run-of-the-mill average people who think they are geniuses, some of them quite neurotic.

The most important thing at JP was to put in an appearance for extremely long hours to demonstate you were "married to the bank". Not surprising many of them got divorced.
                  Last edited by SantaClaus; 29 January 2014, 10:06.
                  'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                  Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                    And this is effecting people to the point where they take their own lives? :-( that is FUBAR
                    Weather it's money, anorexia, or depression they all have their release points.

You'd probably find copious amounts of mental illness throughout IB.

Ex-army chaps always seem to survive the IB without much of a problem.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Yep, they are just run-of-the-mill average people who think they are geniuses, some of them quite neurotic.

The most important thing at JP was to put in an appearance for extremely long hours to demonstate you were "married to the bank". Not surprising many of them got divorced.
                      At one stage, I was a little confused about some credit risk principles, so I asked about some term (which I have since forgotten) to try and get a good explanation. The other three people in the meeting groaned and one said loudly ' if you're too stupid to know that then you shouldn't be working here'. I then made seperate appointments with all three of them to ask for more explanations; would you believe it , the explanations were all different and contradicted each other on several points, so I politely confronted them with this and the chappy who had been rather rude to me was then roundly ridiculed by the other two. So off I went to some chappy who writes the equations and he provided another explanation with which they all agreed. However, not one of them had the decency to admit to being wrong or thank me for helping to clarify things, as would be normal in many other industries, and there was certainly no apology for insulting me. Not that I expected one.

Comment

Working...
                      X