• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

JP Morgan building plunge victim was IT chief at bank

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions are for followers.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Questions are for followers.
      Wot, people who follow the brainy guy out of a top floor window?
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        At one stage, I was a little confused about some credit risk principles, so I asked about some term (which I have since forgotten) to try and get a good explanation. The other three people in the meeting groaned and one said loudly ' if you're too stupid to know that then you shouldn't be working here'. I then made seperate appointments with all three of them to ask for more explanations; would you believe it , the explanations were all different and contradicted each other on several points, so I politely confronted them with this and the chappy who had been rather rude to me was then roundly ridiculed by the other two. So off I went to some chappy who writes the equations and he provided another explanation with which they all agreed. However, not one of them had the decency to admit to being wrong or thank me for helping to clarify things, as would be normal in many other industries, and there was certainly no apology for insulting me. Not that I expected one.
        It's par for the course unfortunately.

I must admit there are a few decent chaps at JP, but they are few and far between. Most can't wait to stick the knife in when your back is turned.
        'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
        Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
          It's par for the course unfortunately.
          Yes, it might help to explain why the same bank needed 30 billion euros in state handouts. Not understanding what the f*&k they were doing while claiming to be of superior intelligence.

Comment

At one stage, I was a little confused about some credit risk principles, so I asked about some term (which I have since forgotten) to try and get a good explanation. The other three people in the meeting groaned and one said loudly ' if you're too stupid to know that then you shouldn't be working here'. I then made seperate appointments with all three of them to ask for more explanations; would you believe it , the explanations were all different and contradicted each other on several points, so I politely confronted them with this and the chappy who had been rather rude to me was then roundly ridiculed by the other two. So off I went to some chappy who writes the equations and he provided another explanation with which they all agreed. However, not one of them had the decency to admit to being wrong or thank me for helping to clarify things, as would be normal in many other industries, and there was certainly no apology for insulting me. Not that I expected one.
            Now I understand why I've never (and will never) do an IB contract. Anybody speaks to me like that in the work place and there will be an 'Ezekiel 25:17' moment right there and then.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Sounds like family to me
              In a family you don't get paid for it ...

Comment

Yes, it might help to explain why the same bank needed 30 billion euros in state handouts. Not understanding what the f*&k they were doing while claiming to be of superior intelligence.
                It's pretty superior intelligence to convince somebody to give them 30 billion whilst pocketing bonuses like it's all normal

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  It's pretty superior intelligence to convince somebody to give them 30 billion whilst pocketing bonuses like it's all normal
                  Well, superior intelligence to politicians, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost

Comment

I once worked in the IB arm of a big bank, piece of piss. There was only me and sometimes my mate and I did systems programming, application programming, DBA and a load of other stuff on the system. At the same time I was also doing other projects, not just in that bank but others so I should have been really stressed but as I'm a professional and knew how to get around that by locking my office door and kipping under the table. They decided to get a permie in who was pretty useless and I spent my time hand holding him and then they decided to move the whole thing from my nice, never going wrong, everyone was happy with it system onto a state of the art Windows/Unix hybrid application. Went pretty much tits up from there :-) Banks...numpties
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X