• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mate of mine's small project

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, "Mate of mine's small project". I misread that.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Get him to write down the functionality he will provide based upon what he thinks they want. Cost each bit. Get them to sign it off. Build it.

A bit cart before horse, but if they won't give him a horse......

Comment

SoW

You mean like a Scope of Work? For a fixed price contract? How novel ;-)

Comment

Really good feedback. Thank you all for your time. There is a grid component. It is excel like, but there are limits. I will set out where we go from here and see if he accepts it.

Spot on about the bigco speak, I'm far to indoctrinated in my ways, and promise to do some work on this. The thing is I can churn out a spec with screen mocks in no time, and have done this with Bob teams. I've also done more slide based day in the life presentations which have put stakeholders in the driving seat.

But if I thought I could bring bigco quality to a smallco, then it is me that lives in cloud la la land.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            But if I thought I could bring bigco quality to a smallco, then it is me that lives in cloud la la land.
            That's not "quality". It's process. It's designed (but often fails) to achieve quality in a bigco environment where an excess of cocksockets would otherwise make it impossible. Small companies rarely need the same level of bureaucracy to achieve a good quality end result. That is why they are so much more fun.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Have you ever grasped that the entire purpose of this contractor thing is to make your company money?

You seem to sabotage any situation that you are in where this becomes possible by making a complete tit out of yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                Have you ever grasped that the entire purpose of this contractor thing is to make your company money?

You seem to sabotage any situation that you are in where this becomes possible by making a complete tit out of yourself.
                I know a guy a bit like that.

Never gets extensions, always chucking gigs because the client does something he doesn't like (which is not a bad thing per se, but it's almost every gig)

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                  I know a guy a bit like that.

Never gets extensions, always chucking gigs because the client does something he doesn't like (which is not a bad thing per se, but it's almost every gig)
                  Does he live in Luton and have many children (none of whom look anything like him)?
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    i know a guy a bit like that.

Never gets extensions, always chucking gigs because the client does not give him any work which he doesn't like (which is not a bad thing per se, surely it's ok to sit around doing nothing as long as you're invoicing.)
                    ftfy
                    ftfy

hth
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                      ftfy
                      ftfy

hth
                      not really, like most of your input.

Comment

Working...
                      X