• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blimey! This is scary...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I also find it odd that the NHS gives all treatment for free, and prescriptions are a fixed cost, but dental has surcharges. You can have any disease and treatment costs you a tenner a month (you can get a prescription pre-payment card), but if you have bad teeth you can have to spend £thousands... the top tier of treatments isn't for vanity procedures either but things you might actually need doing. £300 or whatever it is is a lot of money to a median wage slave; heck even the middle band of £50ish isn't exactly trivial.
    Bad teeth are a result of poor dental hygiene (Orthodontics are paid for by the NHS and so is maxillofacial treatment). If you brush properly twice a day, floss daily, visit the oral hygienist every 12 months, and see your dentist annually, periodontal disease and caries are unlikely to occur. I can't see why the Taxpayer should have to pay for remedial dental work?

Annual Checkups / Oral Hygienist are around £46 IIRC? That is not expensive.
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Appendicitis, $55,000!!....

A friend of my parents had his third heart attack in California a couple of years ago - $10000 a day in intensive care for four days. Total bill was about $120000.

And they are still arguing with the insurance company who have denied cover. When they filled out the details on the broker's website / form, they declared everything; when the insurers underwrote the policy, they say that there were no pre-existing conditions declared.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
        Bad teeth are a result of poor dental hygiene (Orthodontics are paid for by the NHS and so is maxillofacial treatment). If you brush properly twice a day, floss daily, visit the oral hygienist every 12 months, and see your dentist annually, periodontal disease and caries are unlikely to occur. I can't see why the Taxpayer should have to pay for remedial dental work?

That's a load of crap. Some people have bad teeth just like others have bad hearts. And besides if my heart problem is due to a birth condition or being a fat slob, I still get free treatment so you are giving double standards in either case.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          That's a load of crap. Some people have bad teeth just like others have bad hearts. And besides if my heart problem is due to a birth condition or being a fat slob, I still get free treatment so you are giving double standards in either case.
          Teeth problems can also follow other medical conditions and medications.

Comment

What if I am playing sport and knock some teeth out should that be free??

my teeth are pretty poor - mainly because back in the day when times were hard toothpaste was somewhat a luxury

now I look after them well but the damage has been done - is that my fault?

Comment

Perhaps, I should have used the phrase "healthy teeth" as opposed to "bad teeth" but let the semantic stand.
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

When done privately my monthly treatment cost approx 11k.

9k for the drugs; 2k for the hotel/nursing services. It'snow done on the NHS, drug cost is the same.

I understand from a support group that the equivalent cost in the USA is around $75k. It's a big difference.

I imagine a large chunk of it is insurance related in the provision of the care.

Comment

The NHS is worse than the US. I lived in Chicago and saw first hand how their people get treated, both rich and poor. However the US is not the model to copy, better model is the way New Zealand does it, or Belgium. The NHS is sub 3rd world AND we all pay way too much for substandard care. It would be good if folk got bills here and saw how much the NHS was charging the government, and us through taxes, for some truely useless care.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
                    The NHS is sub 3rd world
                    Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
                    truely useless care.
                    Oh I see where you're coming from there. ...

...Out of space !

Comment

oh another one who wants to blame the victim. nice to see an armchair dentist. You used long words.

There are many causes for bad teeth including poor health & genetic reasons.

£46 might not be much for you but for many its a day or two's wages.

£214 for bridge or crown is a weeks wages for some.

one assumes if you have lung disease you will pay because all lung problems must be the result of smoking?
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X