• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dry January

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Slipped, but am making a supreme effort to drink on fewer than my usual 5 days per week, and drink less on the days when I do drink.

Ditto, but didn't slip, just decided to cut back, trying 4 out of 7 rather than 7 out of 7.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I had planned to not drink all of January, but I find weekends are boring without a few drinks. Last drink was Hogmanay, so gave my liver a bit of a break.

Comment

Comment

The mash is onto us

MILLIONS of Britons have begun 2014 by vowing to drink only in secret.

The growing popularity of giving up booze after the excesses of Christmas has seen high-functioning alcoholics across the country determined to pretend they can do without.

Carpenter Tom Booker said: “Every year I promise to conceal my drinking from friends and family but within a fortnight I’m back in the pub.

“2014 is going to be different. I shall be slyly pouring my lager into a china cup so it looks like I’m having a nice cup of tea with my breakfast.

“And there’s a half-bottle of vodka hidden in the toilet tank, at home and also in the office.

“This year I’m really serious about concealing my alcohol intake, and am feeling positive about pulling it off.”

Joanna Kramer of Northampton said: “It isn’t until you pretend to give up drinking that you realise how much other people have been watching you knocking it back, often with real concern.”

Addiction counsellor Carolyn Ryan said: “Ostensibly giving up alcohol follows naturally from the festive season because it’s easy to make unwise promises when you’re on a three-day single malt bender.

“There’s also no booze in the house after Christmas, though spouses often underestimate how much there is in the garage and shed.”

Comment

Still going - anyone else?
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
              Well done.

(Seriously, I'm impressed!)

Comment

Yep...may even push on into Feb to reach a target weight, then get smashed!

Comment

I did it a couple of years ago before it developed the aura of something everyone has a moral responsibility to do (well not really but at least one charity was promoting it on TV after Christmas).

Personally, I don't see the point. I'm not an alcoholic - what does it prove? Besides, this is a miserable time of year made all the more miserable by not being able to have a couple of bottles of red over the weekend.

Comment

I think I am, I am not sure when I drunk alcohol last.

I am also on a new training routine which is horribly hard but I will hopefully see the results when I am fighting in the summer.
                    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Yep. Even managed to negotiate a 40th birthday party on the weekend by being the driver.

Comment

Working...
                      X