• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice needed - Hog-Roast

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Yes. Hire someone to do it, a professional hog roast is fantastic and not that expensive. What on earth makes you think you can do a hog roast? You could land up food poisoning the entire wedding.
    Have to agree with MF, had a friend who used to do this professionally and the kit is quite expensive and pretty cumbersome to set up, not to mention it takes at least a whole day to cook the beast.

Cheaper to get someone in, they bring the beast, the equipment and cook and serve it for you, a lot less hassle.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
      Have to agree with MF, had a friend who used to do this professionally and the kit is quite expensive and pretty cumbersome to set up, not to mention it takes at least a whole day to cook the beast.

Cheaper to get someone in, they bring the beast, the equipment and cook and serve it for you, a lot less hassle.
      No. Its all about the story.
      All these things are adventures and stories. little beads that make up the story of your life

take all the little beads off

and you are left with a bit of limp string
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        All these things are adventures and stories. little beads that make up the story of your life

If you do decide to do it yourself, then find a good company where you can rent but they also train you how to use the equipment.

Good luck!

It's a pretty serious deal and I used to help my mate out when he did his hog roasts, so good luck!
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

If you do decide to do it yourself, then find a good company where you can rent but they also train you how to use the equipment.

Good luck!

It's a pretty serious deal and I used to help my mate out when he did his hog roasts, so good luck!
          my plan is ask peeps generally. then google and you tube. then ask some caterers, finally to help out at some real gigs, maybe elizabethan banquet type events.

I already sourced a pig. £200 all ready for me. I have a walk in freezer at the site. hiring the spit is a common thing. so its experience and some stories that I need.

actually..im just wondering of I could do one of my own, on some pretext.
          Thanks Nora..youre a blooming genius
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Actually you're right. It's all about life's tapestry. The clever things you do, the risks you take, the mistakes you make. I for one wish you all the best and personally cannot wait for the the next thread about how you gave salmonella to half the wedding party & how the brides mother was so ill she died and you're now up on manslaughter charges an food hygiene breaches and has anyone ever represented themselves in court for manslaughter. All part of life's rich tapestry.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Plan B? Buy the kit, perfect the technique and invoice.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                Plan B? Buy the kit, perfect the technique and invoice.
                No doubt EO will cook it in the traditional scouse manner. Ie. Steal a car from Bootle, nick a piggy from a local farm stick it in the boot and set fire to the care. Voilere, roasted pig Scouse style.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Comment

I have a walk in freezer at the site.
                    Errrm, you may already have thought of this, but how long does it take to defrost a pig before you can start cooking it?

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                      Oh thanks NickFitz - now I'm hungry!

Mmmmm, black pudding.....
                      Just watched Nigel Slater making black pudding and caramelised onion sausage rolls
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X