• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rise of the extreme commuter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    TFL should also be banned from announcing that their is currently a 'Good Service' on all underground lines. Good service implies that not only is it running on time, but the level of comfort is also acceptable
    I am very suprised there is no 1st class on the Tube - nice Spa just before you get into Docklands

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
      Every once in a while a bunch of utter twunts squeeze onto an already tightly packed carriage so they're literally pressing against you and breathing stale breath onto your face. I've never known a worse form of transport.

TFL should also be banned from announcing that their is currently a 'Good Service' on all underground lines. Good service implies that not only is it running on time, but the level of comfort is also acceptable and has even been verified by the passengers. They should only be allowed to say it is running to schedule, or there are no delays, etc.

I cringe every time the automated voice instructs passengers/filth to "please use all available space".
      If you get the Central Line from Liverpool Street after 8am on a normal working day then you'll have about a 6 tube wait, slowly shuffling inch-by-inch forward while the people in front squeeze onto the tubes as they arrive. It's one of the most soul-destroying things possible coming onto the platform and watching this knowing you're about to join the back of the scrum waiting for your turn 6 tubes later. Add to that, it's always a smelly commuter wearing a suit that hasn't seen a dry cleaner since it was bought and severe morning breath that's trying his best to spoon up to you when standing, it's never a cute buxom young lady.
      Last edited by craig1; 29 December 2013, 10:15.

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
        If you get the Central Line from Liverpool Street after 8am on a normal working day then you'll have about a 6 tube wait, slowly shuffling inch-by-inch forward while the people in front squeeze onto the tubes as they arrive. It's one of the most soul-destroying things possible coming onto the platform and watching this knowing you're about to join the back of the scrum waiting for your turn 6 tubes later.
        I don't go into London much but saw the crowds waiting for the tubes at 8:45am at Baker St once - I went up to find a bus instead - it was mostly empty.
        This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
          My previous place was > 6hours round trip every day (apart from wednesdays when i stayed in a hotel). I got paid for 4 of those hours sitting on the train though.

WHS, apart from the staying over bit.
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

The most depressing time on the Tube for me was being stuck in a tunnel for 45 minutes in the summer. It was packed and there was a suited 'n' booted guy in front of me obviously needing a pee. As time went on it was obvious the guy was in pain and everyone just simply looked at the floor ignoring the guy's verbal utterances on the discomfort he was experiencing. Fortunately the train started and we arrived at the next station and this guy pounced out of the doors like a panther, knocking docile commuters out of his way like Jonah Lomu.

I hope to this day that the guy found solace.

But from then on I realised that this form of transport was too barbaric for me.

Never again.
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

The only times I used the tube while I was staying in London was on the Monday and Friday commutes. Both times out of peak hours. Rode the bike the rest of the time. Quicker, cheaper and far more civilised.
              Last edited by DaveB; 29 December 2013, 23:45.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                The most depressing time on the Tube for me was being stuck in a tunnel for 45 minutes in the summer. It was packed and there was a suited 'n' booted guy in front of me obviously needing a pee. As time went on it was obvious the guy was in pain and everyone just simply looked at the floor ignoring the guy's verbal utterances on the discomfort he was experiencing. Fortunately the train started and we arrived at the next station and this guy pounced out of the doors like a panther, knocking docile commuters out of his way like Jonah Lomu.

I hope to this day that the guy found solace.

But from then on I realised that this form of transport was too barbaric for me.

Never again.
                +1, I will do anything to avoid the tube in rush hr, substituting a 2 mile walk and or changing the main line station I arrive into London on, the choooob truly is hell on earth...

Comment

I have just completed a 186 mile commute this morning

Comment

why!

why would you even do that?

I have a 45 ish minute commmute (although that is when I avoid peak times) journey distance is 30 miles.

I would have to be desperate and poor to consider doing more..

Comment

Yep - I agree with the above posts about the tube.

Current tube journey is OK though - I get on about 07.50 and usually get a seat.

If I attempt the same journey after 8 forget it - I usually don't bother and go straight for a cab.

The worst tube journey I have ever had the horror of attempting was London Bridge to Canary Wharf. I hardly ever bothered - usually walked across London Bridge and caught a cab from Eastcheap. Coming back at the end of the day was OK.

Comment

Working...
                      X