• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It's the (possible) end of the world as we know it.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Same tax system either side of the border why would it make any difference where the rogering takes place?

It seems to my there are many credit worthy residents in Scotland compared to the rest of the UK.
    No Jock, if the English are fooked then one of your biggest export markets is fooked. Face it, you're fooked like everyone else.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
      But you don't really count, as you're not competing for business with UK clients, so what you do has no effect on what I charge when trying to win business.
      Incorrect. I do have a UK client I'm currently working for. I charge them in Sterling. I undercut the competition quite a bit because my living expenses out here are that much less.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Germany / Deutschland / the land of engineers where having a niche skill pays
        ...where people haven't loaded themselves up with stupid amounts of debt and the government is led by a proper conservative who can do basic arithmetic and businesses are run by people who understand what the company actually does instead of simply applying the same spreadsheet bulltulip to every kind of company.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          No Jock, if the English are fooked then one of your biggest export markets is fooked. Face it, you're fooked like everyone else.
          Na. I can see a bigger problem, no vote 60% yes 40%. You think those people north of the border are miserable now? Wait until that likely result comes through. We'll be in a full on depression for the next 5-6 years.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Incorrect. I do have a UK client I'm currently working for. I charge them in Sterling. I undercut the competition quite a bit because my living expenses out here are that much less.
            Ah, I didn't realise that. Not having had an interest in working for overseas clients I've never bothered looking up the taxation rules, but surely this is an exception, otherwise we'd be constantly competing with contract workers baseing themselves abroad in cheaper locations, but working for UK clients?

Comment

Na. I can see a bigger problem, no vote 60% yes 40%. You think those people north of the border are miserable now? Wait until that likely result comes through. We'll be in a full on depression for the next 5-6 years.
              Which is why if Sammond were smart, he'd lobby for the English to get the vote too.

We'd go for Scottish independence in a heartbeat

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                ...where people haven't loaded themselves up with stupid amounts of debt and the government is led by a proper conservative who can do basic arithmetic and businesses are run by people who understand what the company actually does instead of simply applying the same spreadsheet bulltulip to every kind of company.

I had to come to Germany to learn how to save!!

Before coming here I had a couple of credit cards with some debt, which I had no reason to have considering my income. Almost like it were a trophy.

Now just a single credit card without any debt whatsoever apart from my BTL back home. Stress is commercial and life is now just a dream.
                Last edited by scooterscot; 13 December 2013, 12:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  Which is why if Sammond were smart, he'd lobby for the English to get the vote too.

We'd go for Scottish independence in a heartbeat
                  I think he shot himself in the foot allowing 16 yo to vote. The majority are dead against it, seeing themselves as Brit's. Which is interesting because this generation don't see themselves as victims from centralised government. They feel they still have much in common with the rest of country. Whereas the old generation, I'm taking now 30+ find themselves completely disenfranchised much like the north of England not sharing much in common with the property obsessed south east.

Comment

I had to come to Germany to learn how to save!!

Before coming here I had a couple of credit cards with some debt, which I had no reason to have considering my income. Almost like it were a trophy.

Now just a single credit card without and debt whatsoever apart form my BTL back home. Stress is commercial and life is now just a dream.
                    Not having a credit card can imply more income than having one in Germany and NL. If you earn enough, you don't need to borrow, so I got rid of mine last year and only use debit card now; why pay the charges on something I barely use? Sometimes a bit inconvenient as hire car firms and chain hotels always want a credit card number for booking, but more and more are setting up debit card payment on t'interweb now. Sheraton Schiphol have now lost my business as they demand credit cards, even though I've always been satisfied there and have slept there several times a year, so Radisson across the road can sell me a hotel room 10 times a year instead now. Companies selling in NL and DE really need to get their heads round this; customers with a high disposable income here don't necessarily have or want credit cards so you have to cater to other forms of payment and reservation.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                      Ah, I didn't realise that. Not having had an interest in working for overseas clients I've never bothered looking up the taxation rules, but surely this is an exception, otherwise we'd be constantly competing with contract workers baseing themselves abroad in cheaper locations, but working for UK clients?
                      The exception comes as Brits don't like to move. They'd rather commute long distances day in day out just to stay in the home or neighbourhood their family grew up in. This behaviour is to be recognised across England.

There is also the shortage of engineering skills playing havoc with UK industry that employers now have to look far afield.

Comment

Working...
                      X