• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sods law

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Indeed. If the people aren't total arses, I might be tempted to come clean and say "I'm really sorry to do this but I've just been offered another job paying 4X as much". Chances are they'd totally understand there's no way you'd stay in that situation; who would?
    A real professional! or at least that is what the agent would say.

can you not arrange a phone interview this week? see if you are compatible. then ditch the cheap client Friday on a contract issue. or bid them up ?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Crap rate contract starting tomorrow. Decent enough but rate is crap.

Had a call now from agency for cracking contract paying almost 4x more. They want to interview me next week face to face (did phone a few days ago). Bloody typical - I sit there for months and now this happens.

Not bothered about coughing up a days pay and train fare to attend this interview but new client ain't gonna be keen that I'm unavailable after 3 days. I can feel a hospital appt coming on.... Hmmm. Wait till tomorrow and tell client or tell agency now and say really sorry forgot about this?

To be honest, if I don't go to this interview I'm always going to be wondering what-if. It really is a good one.

Can imagine lots of hassle with new client/agency if I hand in notice for this one though after a week :-(
      Ask yourself, WWSY01D?
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        A real professional! or at least that is what the agent would say.
        I think even most agents would be pragmatic as long as you honour your contract... if they get arsey ask them what they'd do if they were offered 4X their current salary.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Ask yourself, WWSY01D?
          Genius! Hold a stakeholder requirement gathering workshop am get your contract terminated without notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Genius! Hold a stakeholder requirement gathering workshop am get your contract terminated without notice.
            You forgot raise several risks to the RAID log, get man flu, blame everybody.

HTH
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Yep London it is. So probably lose some of the 4x in travel/accom costs. Bit more than £14 a day this role is costing me.
              Good luck! Working in the big smoke isn't that bad, although I have become addicted to sushi since being here

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
                Good luck! Working in the big smoke isn't that bad, although I have become addicted to sushi since being here
                Yep will see how it goes nxt week.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Easy one this - you have to go for the interview and you have to take it if offered.
                  Oh - and you need to grow some spuds next time so you dont say yes to what is clearly a c**p job way below your normal rate, easier said than done this...
                  There is no exit from here without you looking like a t**t so make sure you dont want to go back. I would be tempted to bail with a sorry, I completely misunderstood the level and type of work and feel it would be better if you get someone else.
                  Then leave at speed and be tempted not to charge for the few days worked.

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
                    Easy one this - you have to go for the interview and you have to take it if offered.
                    Oh - and you need to grow some spuds next time so you dont say yes to what is clearly a c**p job way below your normal rate, easier said than done this...
                    There is no exit from here without you looking like a t**t so make sure you dont want to go back. I would be tempted to bail with a sorry, I completely misunderstood the level and type of work and feel it would be better if you get someone else.
                    Like someone said i cant not charge cos agency will want theyre cut at least. In fact if i dont charge agency will likely just still charge client and take the lot.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
                      This is indeed easier said than done. OP has a wife and baby at home. I don't know his financial circumstances but a crap paying contract may be enough to keep the family in housing, heating, food and clothes. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Comment

Working...
                      X