• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do any of you

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Do you still put cards in phoneboxes?
    And he'll still be taking a 20% cut of all your hard sports referrals.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Own your own business/e- business?

What I want to know is how long you would expect it to take (from scratch) to get a website up and running where you could sell some of your products and take payment (even if that was via some third party payment gateway)

And does anyone have any examples of what can be achieved in what timescales?

Cheers

Maybe should be in technical?
      A day to a week essentially. If you are happy with using a pre-built template which looks smart but bland, the shorter end of that although you will have to supply content of course. Many webby people will sell you a fixed price package to get this kind of thing done although of course you can just keep on spending money if you want any artwork done, etc.

PS: I don't have a payment gateway but if you want to see what I got for my plan B site for a few $100 based on hacking a wordpress template and buying some stock artwork, PM me.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally setup a OSCommerce site for the missis and her plans for ecommerce dominance but that was a bit of a chore - eventually moved to a Volusion site with a customised template - you could probably be up and running in a few days with Paypal integration and something like Worldpay within 2-4 weeks

Comment

Actually looking around Ecommerce Software & Online Shopping Cart Solutions by Volusion with a £500 or so template may be a very good deal...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

How does one of these compare with an Enterprise solution such as IBM's websphere commerce server?

Comment

How does one of these compare with an Enterprise solution such as IBM's websphere commerce server?
              That's just websphere with a customized / customizable front end to start from. If its anything like the Microsoft commerce server (since offloaded to anyone willing to support it) its great at giving you a noddy ecommerce site from circa 2004 but will be lacking many features you require nowadays......

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                That's just websphere with a customized / customizable front end to start from. If its anything like the Microsoft commerce server (since offloaded to anyone willing to support it) its great at giving you a noddy ecommerce site from circa 2004 but will be lacking many features you require nowadays......
                well yes indeed - does not even come with a 'basket' as standard functionality.

I am just rofl ing a lot know as I have been saying to the clueless senior execs for the past 18 months (and £1.5 million) you are wasting time and money buying this to sell a total of 7 (seven) different products on the web.

Someone must be getting a back hander!

Comment

well yes indeed - does not even come with a 'basket' as standard functionality.

I am just rofl ing a lot know as I have been saying to the clueless senior execs for the past 18 months (and £1.5 million) you are wasting time and money buying this to sell a total of 7 (seven) different products on the web.

Someone must be getting a back hander!
                  nope someone believes the old adage you can't be fired for buying IBM.

7 products you say. So that is £500 for the style (or £25,000 for a design house) and £10 a month for hosting using the site above.....

Comment

IBM websphere is a powerful product, but never really evolved with the times. Microsoft commerce server was at risk of going the same way but the later versions open up various API's and have a lot of decent functionality but in my opinion both of the above are overkill unless you are having a significant level of transactions going through them.

How much would the average sale be?
                    How many transactions do you expect to process a day?
                    Is there a requirement for additional shopfaces?

If i were you, I would use a cheap/free solution to dip your toe in the water, then if you get the the point where you are transacting >100000 orders a day then look at migrating the one of the big 5 platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by RedSauce View Post
                      IBM websphere is a powerful product, but never really evolved with the times. Microsoft commerce server was at risk of going the same way but the later versions open up various API's and have a lot of decent functionality but in my opinion both of the above are overkill unless you are having a significant level of transactions going through them.

How much would the average sale be?
                      How many transactions do you expect to process a day?
                      Is there a requirement for additional shopfaces?

If i were you, I would use a cheap/free solution to dip your toe in the water, then if you get the the point where you are transacting >100000 orders a day then look at migrating the one of the big 5 platforms.
                      So if we are say looking at volumes of 5-10 per week we may have wasted our money?

Comment

Working...
                      X