• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PM FAO Doodab's liver

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    It's mostly down to luck, or lack of it, and genes.

Also, tobacco smoke isn't the only carcinogen. Far from it - Diesel exhaust and aspergillus type moulds, among other things, are _far_ more dangerous than tobacco smoke. But you rarely hear politicians and health campaigners mention them because they aren't fashionable evils.

I'm the same, except 40+ years of puffing away (since I was 12). But I reckon cigarettes have saved my life more than once, keeping me awake on long motorway journeys. So, if I ever get cancer, and they haven't found a cure for it by then, I'll call it a draw.

Anyway, good luck, and who knows perhaps there is some experimental treatment that may turn up in time to benefit you.
    +1

Advances being made every day.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      I think the big shock here is that Doodab is so young. This is completely unfair, and totally shocking.

IIRC Doodab is a keen cyclist who did 50 milers for breakfast and laughed his ass off at me chafing my way across the south downs.

Doodab did absolutely not bring this on himself. This could happen to any one of us. I understand from Doodab he is in the very best of care, so I have learned to keep my beak out of his affairs.

How many old timers do you know in your local boozer than live the lifestyle of a swamp rat and yet don't befall this? I know plenty.

Very upsetting, and I am treading very carefully in what I say here as I don't want to cause any further upset to Doodab.

I am looking forward to you stabilising Doodab and getting your life back to "normal".
      To be fair, doodab was also a keen drinker who used to polish of 2-3 bottles of scotch a week as well as 40+ beers and numerous cocktails, although he had moved to beer only the last 5 years or so. He was also 40 a day smoker for 15 years or so, and his diet was essentially piles of cured pig meat with the occasional piece of cow or chicken, often wrapped in pastry or deep fried. He also took most recreational drugs to which he had access at one time or another.

I may not have bought it on myself, but I didn't do myself any favours either. OTOH, I have enjoyed myself
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        To be fair, doodab was also a keen drinker who used to polish of 2-3 bottles of scotch a week as well as 40+ beers and numerous cocktails, although he had moved to beer only the last 5 years or so. He was also 40 a day smoker for 15 years or so, and his diet was essentially piles of cured pig meat with the occasional piece of cow or chicken, often wrapped in pastry or deep fried. He also took most recreational drugs to which he had access at one time or another.

I may not have bought it on myself, but I didn't do myself any favours either. OTOH, I have enjoyed myself
        <swoon>

Need to up my game.

Comment

There was a guy in the bed opposite, teetotal, never smoked, vegetarian, waiting for a liver transplant. He'll die sooner or later if he doesn't get one.
          do you like him ?

if not, he can have mine

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I am not helping matters much but i worked with a guy for a long time who got diagnosed with stomach cancer and it was deemed terminal. Underwent surgery etc and 15 years later is still alive and has kicked the disease. The initial diagnosis is not always accurate.
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
              I am not helping matters much but i worked with a guy for a long time who got diagnosed with stomach cancer and it was deemed terminal. Underwent surgery etc and 15 years later is still alive and has kicked the disease. The initial diagnosis is not always accurate.
              On the contrary. I think this is a good example. And if Doodab is the "stubbon tulip" he makes out, proving the doctors wrong would be something to shoot for.

Comment

There was a guy in the bed opposite, teetotal, never smoked, vegetarian, waiting for a liver transplant. He'll die sooner or later if he doesn't get one.
                You can enjoy life without smoking, drinking or eating meat.

Or so I'm told, it sounds unlikely
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  You can enjoy life without smoking, drinking or eating meat.
                  True, but some of us like an occasional break from fornication

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    True, but some of us like an occasional break from masturbation
                    ftfy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                      On the contrary. I think this is a good example. And if Doodab is the "stubbon tulip" he makes out, proving the doctors wrong would be something to shoot for.
                      Guys, I appreciate the sentiment but it's just not realistic. A gastrectomy to get rid of the lump in my stomach is all well and good, but by the time (and TBH *if*, as I am pretty weak) I recover it will be too late for chemo to stop the rest of it. They already cut a 2.5cm long lump out of my navel and I have more of various sizes spread over the membranes that hold my internal organs in place. It was these that showed up on the original CT scan, not the lump in my stomach. They can't even find all of those never mind get rid of them with surgery, it would basically require disembowelment.

I have discussed this with them. The current course of treatment gives me the best odds of maximizing the area under my time / quality of life curve. I am happy with that.

If I "prove the doctors wrong" or "beat the odds" it will be by reacting well to chemo and being one of the 1 in 20 or so diagnosed at such a late stage who get 5 years plus. And who knows what advances medicine might make in that time. If I'm going to hope against the odds, that's how I'll do it, not by second guessing every move of the people who are doing their best for me.
                      Last edited by doodab; 17 December 2013, 14:26.
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X