• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Suicidal Cyclists

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would improve the Bow roundabout a lot IMHO is a separate slip road turning left from Mile End Road (heading out of London) and merging into the northbound A12, without the need to stop at traffic lights, even if this had to start a hundred yards before the roundabout and snake round the East side of (i.e "inside") the Kentucky place by the roundabout, or even the other side of the cop shop opposite Bow Church.

I dare say the symmetric situation also applies the other side on the A118 heading into London towards the roundabout, i.e. a dedicated "traffic lightless" left turn onto the southbound A12. But I don't use that side.
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 18 November 2013, 15:08.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Another one.

BBC News - Camberwell lorry crash: Sixth cyclist killed in two weeks

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I stated that around lunch time - received a news flash.

The investigation is still ongoing.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Despite wearing a fluorescent banana suit, I have real problems on my recumbent as my riding profile is so low that drivers can't see me in their wing mirrors.

I've rigged up a mast on the rear of the bike and stuck one of those flashing yellow lights that you see on fork lift trucks on top of it.

They can all see me coming now.

Comment

I always regarded driving as something other people did for me until I had kids and at 40 my wife made me learn.

Despite a big sign on the roof and L plates to warn even the most stupid lycra fetishist on a bike that by law I was not deemed fit to be allowed out on my own on a road they repeatedly did things that not only showed contempt for the law of the land, but also those of physics and probability.

The best bit of driving I've ever done was dodging an aggressive cyclist who drove at me (still a learner), going the wrong way down a narrow one way street.

Two of my good mates got killed on bikes whilst I was at school, so I'm not someone who naturally sees them as enemies, but when I see their behaviour I don't take the position that it is everyone's role to get out of their way.
            My 12 year old is walking 26 miles for Cardiac Risk in the Young, you can sponsor him here

Comment

Yes, Dominic, there are some crazy cyclist out there that have total disregard not only for the highway code but oblivious to their own and others safety.

I've been commuting in rush hour for other three years on a bicycle and over a year on a motorbike and I've seen everything from the suited commuter on a foldaway jinking in and out of traffic with a half life of about 2 days to the lycra-clad "warriors" that are charged with a feeling of superiority that the moving objects with a much larger moment of mass must simply give way because of their righteous zeal.

I've also seen the worse in humanity of those in cars that have deliberately positioned themselves to harm those on bikes and motorbikes.

I'm ambivalent on who is to blame, but I fear that the growing pinnacle for the battle of the vehicular species is coming to a point with both sides becoming more aggressive, until the government decides to step in. And only then will we see the full force of a cluster**** road policy.

In summary, it will only get worse.
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                Yes, Dominic, there are some crazy cyclist out there that have total disregard not only for the highway code but oblivious to their own and others safety.

I've been commuting in rush hour for other three years on a bicycle and over a year on a motorbike and I've seen everything from the suited commuter on a foldaway jinking in and out of traffic with a half life of about 2 days to the lycra-clad "warriors" that are charged with a feeling of superiority that the moving objects with a much larger moment of mass must simply give way because of their righteous zeal.

I've also seen the worse in humanity of those in cars that have deliberately positioned themselves to harm those on bikes and motorbikes.

I'm ambivalent on who is to blame, but I fear that the growing pinnacle for the battle of the vehicular species is coming to a point with both sides becoming more aggressive, until the government decides to step in. And only then will we see the full force of a cluster**** road policy.

In summary, it will only get worse.
                I don't know if all this is particularly directed at cyclists, sure some of it is, but I see a lot of aggressive behaviour on the motorway in the rush hour by car crivers, van drivers and sometimes even HGV drivers, towards each other and all and sundry. Cyclists then bear the brunt on roads in cities. I think it's more a social issue and I don't have many ideas of how to solve it. Here in NL, our otherwise incompetent government is now talking about making some traffic offences, namely those involving aggression, criminal offences, but whether that will change anything remains to be seen.

Personally I like large, comfortable saloon cars that are relaxing to drive and I wonder whether there may be some aspect of modern car design that leads to stress and aggression in their users. Last week I had a hire car; a Mercedes A180 with sports suspension, very dark interior and flappy paddle gears; I didn't find it relaxing at all, in fact I noticed that even I felt some degree of stress, occasionally swore at other people's actions and got home feeling tired and stressed; I say 'even I' because I'm usually a very easy going driver; I've had one minor accident in 20 years at a very confusing junction and in my own car I just relax and let the loonies loon about. I had an Audi A6 as a hire car last year and I hated it; it was like sitting on a tea tray going down a mountain scree slope and the steering and accelerator were far too sensitive, and none of this was conducive to relaxed driving.

Perhaps if more cars were designed to help their drivers relax it would contribute to calming things down.

Maybe it sounds like a crazy idea, but design really can influence mood.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Does sound like that road junction is a bit duff, were I Boris I would get some police down there until it can be redesigned.

Publicly prosecute cyclists & vehicles for misbehaviour.

Generally I would make lights (on at all times) and helmets mandatory on all bikes. Confiscate bikes if they are not on & working. You can buy a set of lights for £2 at poundland so poverty is no excuse.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I say ban cyclists from these so called multi use paths.

I can't go along the canal towpath without continually having to throw myself into the hedge to avoid being hit by someone in fluorescent Lycra hurtling at breakneck speed in my direction.

Even the cyclists who are considerate enough to warn me of their presence are annoying. One minute I'm ambling along with my head in the clouds lost in my own thoughts, the next - TING TING!! and my pleasant little daydream is abruptly brought to a close.

Comment

Originally posted by zoco View Post
                      I say ban cyclists from these so called multi use paths.

I can't go along the canal towpath without continually having to throw myself into the hedge to avoid being hit by someone in fluorescent Lycra hurtling at breakneck speed in my direction.

Even the cyclists who are considerate enough to warn me of their presence are annoying. One minute I'm ambling along with my head in the clouds lost in my own thoughts, the next - TING TING!! and my pleasant little daydream is abruptly brought to a close.
                      Alternatively I can't use the cycle paths because of dozy idiots wombling along the towpath or in the middle of the cycle path without watching out for cyclists.
                      If you walk along one side of the towpath we will go round you, its the ones that wobble from side to side with their dogs off their leads that get on my nerves.

If you want to daydream then go somewhere you can do so safely. The path is a shared resource.

Or buy a mansion and wander through the grounds.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X