• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Suicidal Cyclists

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zoco View Post
    I say ban cyclists from these so called multi use paths.

I can't go along the canal towpath without continually having to throw myself into the hedge to avoid being hit by someone in fluorescent Lycra hurtling at breakneck speed in my direction.

Even the cyclists who are considerate enough to warn me of their presence are annoying. One minute I'm ambling along with my head in the clouds lost in my own thoughts, the next - TING TING!! and my pleasant little daydream is abruptly brought to a close.
    Unfortunately for you, there are 7 billion other people on this planet, and you may come across some of them during your walks.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

If you want to daydream then go somewhere you can do so safely. The path is a shared resource.

Or buy a mansion and wander through the grounds.
      I should imagine that foot trumps wheel on these paths in much the same way as sail before steam on the water.

Not sure who had right of in the little run in my sister in law had the other day though. She was with another mum on the cycle path and both were pushing their pushchairs 2 abreast. Some Lycra lout came up behind and gave them a right mouthful. Poor gir, she was very upset. If I'd have been there I'd have given him a smack in the mouth there and then on the spot. Won't stand for this yobbery.

Comment

I should imagine that foot trumps wheel on these paths in much the same way as sail before steam on the water.
        Why?

Comment

Not sure who had right of in the little run in my sister in law had the other day though. She was with another mum on the cycle path and both were pushing their pushchairs 2 abreast. Some Lycra lout came up behind and gave them a right mouthful. Poor gir, she was very upset. If I'd have been there I'd have given him a smack in the mouth there and then on the spot. Won't stand for this yobbery.
          She was with another mum on the cycle path

I think that answers your question as to who was in the wrong. If it was a shared pedestrian & cycle route she might have a point.

The cyclist appears to been rude, but if they had been pushing their prams down the middle of the road would they have not been tooted and sworn at by drivers? They could have used the pedestrian part or were the other pedestrians slowing them down or getting in the way?

On Canal's pedestrians have priority, that doesn't mean they have the right to obstruct others, its just that if someone should go first where the road is too narrow/changes other users should give way to pedestrians. So if you walk 4 abreast on the towpath you should move out the way, if you wander in the middle of the path then move aside as you would for another pedestrian.

Share the Space, Drop your Pace
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            She was with another mum on the cycle path

I think that answers your question as to who was in the wrong. If it was a shared pedestrian & cycle route she might have a point.
            Indeed. It's an advanced concept that seems to go over some people's heads.

Comment

I don't think that apps like Strava (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...trava&hl=en_GB) help. I know a few people that 'race' through the streets of London during rush hour to get a higher ranking.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Indeed. It's an advanced concept that seems to go over some people's heads.
                Ok, I used the term cycle path but it's actually mixed use.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Why?
                  Why? Because it Bally well should. The protocol is what came first gets right of way. So, we have sail before steam at sea, horses trump cars on the road and presumably pedestrians have the upper hand over cyclists on mixed use paths.

Comment

Which suggests that there may be other people wishing to use it, so pushing pushcars side by side isn't really showing consideration for other people who may wish to walk, run, cycle, ride a camel, push a pushcar or otherwise move along at a different speed or in a different direction to the two mothers.

Comment

so they were the equivalent of two mobility scooters riding abreast down the road. Or even two cyclists riding abreast down a road. They would be tooted and sworn at!
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X