• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Suicidal Cyclists

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd be suicidal if I had to ride round that roundabout on a regular basis. It was clearly designed by someone who hates cyclists.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      I'd be suicidal if I had to ride round that roundabout on a regular basis. It was clearly designed by someone who hates cyclists.
      Transport for London have been challenged about it numerous times, and were advised by both their civil engineering consultants and the London Cycle Campaign that the design was dangerous before it was built. They deny it is a problem.

They've gone out of their way to find fault with the cyclists who have been killed there, making no attempt to look into the behaviour of car and lorry drivers. Its a Corporate Manslaughter charge waiting to happen.

Five cyclists dead in two weeks: is there a way to make London's roads safer? | UK news | The Observer

Val Shawcross, who chairs the London Assembly transport committee, said that serious injuries and deaths among London cyclists rose 18% between 2011 and 2012. "It is terrible to hear that another young cyclist has been killed on cycle superhighway 2, which a coroner's report recently said could pose a risk to life unless action was taken. While the mayor and TfL are taking steps to cut these serious incidents, it is vital they act swiftly to implement and review measures that will help to make cycling safer for all.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Transport for London have been challenged about it numerous times, and were advised by both their civil engineering consultants and the London Cycle Campaign that the design was dangerous before it was built. They deny it is a problem.

They've gone out of their way to find fault with the cyclists who have been killed there, making no attempt to look into the behaviour of car and lorry drivers. Its a Corporate Manslaughter charge waiting to happen.

Five cyclists dead in two weeks: is there a way to make London's roads safer? | UK news | The Observer
        You can't blame anyone using the roundabout as if you stand at any largish roundabout and watch those using it regards of transport mode you will see loads of confusion.

The reason accidents are minimised is due to the design of the roundabout.

TFL do need to be sued. Some of the local councils where I live they only put in roundabouts, redesign them and put in crossings if there is likely to be a law suit.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          You can't blame anyone using the roundabout as if you stand at any largish roundabout and watch those using it regards of transport mode you will see loads of confusion.

The reason accidents are minimised is due to the design of the roundabout.

TFL do need to be sued. Some of the local councils where I live they only put in roundabouts, redesign them and put in crossings if there is likely to be a law suit.
          They do if the design actually makes it more dangerous and more confusing, which it does, and which they were told before they built the cycle lane system.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            A lot of drivers in London also seem to have given up on the idea of indicating, which doesn't help (and might account for some of those cyclist deaths).
            Agree
            Growing old is mandatory
            Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              A lot of drivers in London also seem to have given up on the idea of indicating, which doesn't help (and might account for some of those cyclist deaths).
              I think it’s worse than that. I suspect that many London drivers have never taken a test or they have used a proxy to take it for them. They seem to be absolutely ignorant of the basic rules of the road. One my common gripes are not giving away to pedestrians crossing at road junctions. As for the worst offenders including jumping red lights, that prize goes to Addison Lee mini cabs.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I've cycled once across the Bow interchange. Didn't fancy the roundabout; I took the flyover, which wasn't as scary as it sounds. Not that steep either, heading East, just got to watch out for traffic I'm the slip lane at the bottom.

Generally though I avoid it. From Hoxton, where my current client is based, I head up through Hackney, round Victoria park and get across the A12 there on the pedestrian bridge, and take the greenway to Stratford. Much safer, despite the ball ache of having to get off and walk a bit due to the Crossrail construction.

Comment

Another one has just died.

Man in 60s with a HGV in Camberwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    I think it’s worse than that. I suspect that many London drivers have never taken a test or they have used a proxy to take it for them. They seem to be absolutely ignorant of the basic rules of the road. One my common gripes are not giving away to pedestrians crossing at road junctions. As for the worst offenders including jumping red lights, that prize goes to Addison Lee mini cabs.

I followed an Addison Lee cab down the M4 once - ok saw him from where I live to Slough and caught up with him somewhere after Reading - he only slowed down because of the police were out.

He wasn't paying attention regardless of what roads he was on.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      I think that less than 1% of drivers are aware of highway rule 170
                      watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X