• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mathematical Problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    you trying to fix the problem or is it an intellectual exercise?

If the former then Sketchup.

If the latter, have fun.
    The former (it's for a public consultation on the proposed development). I looked at the sketchup site - thanks for that info. Not sure if I need the fully paid up version though.

Comment

Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
      Yes, the pic is Jpeg. Does that alter the scale then?
      My numpty understanding on this is that RAW contains all the data that was on the sensor, much like on a negative. Once converted to jpeg, this the equivalent of printing it on 6x4 or 7x5 depending on your jpeg settings. The chimney will be bigger on one than the other.

Happy to be told if this is bollox.

Comment

The former (it's for a public consultation on the proposed development). I looked at the sketchup site - thanks for that info. Not sure if I need the fully paid up version though.
        sorry looks like they have meddled.

The documentation is vague I suspect the Make version does import / export Google, its a powerful feature.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          My numpty understanding on this is that RAW contains all the data that was on the sensor, much like on a negative. Once converted to jpeg, this the equivalent of printing it on 6x4 or 7x5 depending on your jpeg settings. The chimney will be bigger on one than the other.

Happy to be told if this is bollox.
          Yep that's what I was thinking. I've never processed RAW but jpg is resized when it is exported from the camera.

One solution for you is if you can identify an object at the distance you need that has a know size. Then calculate the scaling factor that results in the actual image size and then apply it to your chimney image. You don't need a height any distance will do.

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
            Yep that's what I was thinking. I've never processed RAW but jpg is resized when it is exported from the camera.

One solution for you is if you can identify an object at the distance you need that has a know size. Then calculate the scaling factor that results in the actual image size and then apply it to your chimney image. You don't need a height any distance will do.
            Does the object have to be at the same distance or can I use any object if I know it's height regardless of its distance ?

Comment

Does the object have to be at the same distance or can I use any object if I know it's height regardless of its distance ?
              If you use an object at the same distance as the chimney then it should scale the same. Otherwise you'll have to use one of the other formulae to work out the image size when it moves to the correct distance.
              Btw, not an expert, just suggesting possible solutions.

Comment

This is why you don't ask code monkeys about anything non code monkeyish.

They haven't got a friggin clue outside their tiny realm of angle brackets and semicolons.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  This is why you don't ask code monkeys about anything non code monkeyish.

They haven't got a friggin clue outside their tiny realm of angle brackets and semicolons.

Here, you talking about me?

Comment

How do I work out what size to make the chimney in my montage?
                    Just remember that your chimney is never quite as big as you think it is....

Comment

take your wonderful camera to the top. drop it off and time the descent.

at 32 feet per second/per second, it wont take long to determine the height
                      (\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X