• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hmm. 80 min train journey each way......

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I work when I am on the train therefore any travel time is part of my working day.
    Do you swing that with your client, or do you just mean they get a longer working day out of you as you use the time profitably?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Neither of these names reflect the true nature of the beast.
      I've read that the pacers will effectively become illegal (bad access for wheelchair users) by 2019.

Can't come soon enough, I travelled on these things when I was 10!

Haha, you can see where they got the idea from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lev1nnr.jpg

qh
      Last edited by quackhandle; 16 October 2013, 10:31.
      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

My journey is:

1 minute walk to train station.
        80 minute train
        15 minute tube
        5 minute walk

I do this 3 to 4 days per week. I have done it 5 days per week and that is very tough, particularly with a young family, but needs must.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Probably spoilt because this is about average with you lot from the south....
          Would mean (probably) train at 6-30am ish (10 min drive to train station) getting to office at 8-15am (10 min walk other end). Then hopefully, getting home about 6-30pm.

Might work - as I've said before it depends on the client I guess.

Cost wise season ticket aint too bad. Works out £42 a day. Driving probably not an option because its 100+ miles so 2 hrs+.

Anyone else suck up such a train journey? Obviously, trains have their disadvantages and advantages but wondered how much it does your head in.....
          That's not a commute. Try flying 6000 miles and turning up at the office at 6am the next day. Bedwetter.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            Nope £250 a month.

£200 a month if I wanted to restrict my journey via the Calder Vale line into Victoria, seeing as I was at the Coop Bank which was two mins from Victoria that's the route I used, paid the £250 in case I wanted to go via Piccadilly.

Distance was a bout 50 miles.
            Thats well cheap for an 80 min journey. Although how does 50 miles take 80 mins on the train? Steam train LOL.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Mine is 15 secs walk to the car.
              12 minutes drive to the office (can stretch to 15 in traffic)
              20 seconds walk to the office.

Alternatively it's a 30 minute cycle through the woods

I can't quite bring myself to turn down the extensions...

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Thats well cheap for an 80 min journey. Although how does 50 miles take 80 mins on the train? Steam train LOL.
                Stops everywhere including reversing out of Bradford and such places as Mytholmroyd, Hebden Bridge and Todmorden.

Plus a rather large hill called The Pennines, not easy for these laden underpowered Pacers...

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                  Did you get the gig or just fantasising about it ?
                  Looking good. But of course makes sense to think about whether its doable before signing up and then thinking **** what have I done surely?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    I agree, the role I had in Newcastle (110 miles away) totally wore me out because of the initial commute, 15 mins walk, 20 mins bus, 10 min walk, 1:30 train, walk to Metro (not far!) Metro to Northumberland Park, 20 min walk. About 3.5 hours door to door with waiting times each end

Did that daily for a week or two, because contact was short notice and thought it would be ok, but to be honest, it did me no favours so I did the weekly commute thing and stayed in the Toon.

I couldn't drive because I was still in the six month period after my heart thing...
                    Yeh thats just nuts.....

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Do you swing that with your client, or do you just mean they get a longer working day out of you as you use the time profitably?
                      I did for a while do 5 days per week in London and 1 day per week split over my commuting days. Pretty tough firing up the laptop at 7:15 on the train. I now use the time for my Plan B.

Comment

Working...
                      X