• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Things you don't need

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If the car knows you're about to hit, why does it bloody let you?
    Quite. Mind you, sometimes I don't mind a bit of touch parking.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Perhaps if we were to rename 'bumpers' to some sensitive part of the female body, ladies wouldn't use them for bumping into the cars in front and behind to assist in parking. 'Knockers' probably wouldn't work though.
      That reminds me I need to get my front mammary gland fixed, has a massive scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
        Quite. Mind you, sometimes I don't mind a bit of touch parking.
        Ah, the famous French method of parking by Braille...

Whenever the wife crashes the car, or is involved in its damage at all, she always reminds me of an incident in 1993 where I drove a hire car into a column in a car park in Spain. Everything was painted white and it was a blindingly bright 30 degree day and I didn’t see it. But no, ever since, despite this being the ONLY aberration in my driving history, if I dare state anything regarding her driving, this is brought up…

Our new car arrived last Wednesday, and she still hasn’t driven it as we now have a long gated drive, with the gate being fairly narrow. The new car is fairly big and wide. I am away this week in London working, and I know she’ll have a crack at it while I am away. I am expecting to be reminded about Spain sometime this week.

Comment

So when she drives into a hedge or whatever because she misunderstood the parking sensor, it's her fault. But when you drive into a massive pillar because you couldn't see properly, it's not your fault for driving when you knew you couldn't see, which is probably a criminal offence?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

So when she drives into a hedge or whatever because she misunderstood the parking sensor, it's her fault. But when you drive into a massive pillar because you couldn't see properly, it's not your fault for driving when you knew you couldn't see, which is probably a criminal offence?
            I am not too sure I said it wasn't my fault, that's a big leap. I think I said, she always mentions it when she hits the car, she always brings up an old accident, when she smacks the car.

Oh, and she doesn't misunderstand it, she doesn't listen to it.

Is that a little clearer for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Hairy View Post
              Had parking sensors on a brand new Ranger Wildtrak. Wife revered the thing into a lamp post. One asking how, was told she knew that once they were beeping constantly, you still had a few inches you could go back. Apparently not...

Oh, and she doesn't misunderstand it, she doesn't listen to it.

Is that a little clearer for you?
              It was clear to start with, she misunderstood how to use the system.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

It was clear to start with, she misunderstood how to use the system.

Originally posted by wife
                she knew that once they were beeping constantly, you still had a few inches you could go back
                No, not really. She used it plenty of times, and noticed that it beeped constantly when IT wanted you to stop, but on inspection, always left about 6-8 inches, so used to push back a bit more. She didn't listen to it.

It was a very large vehicle, and I can see why she did it, but she did it deliberately and got caught out.
                Last edited by Hairy; 15 October 2013, 11:31.

Comment

No, not really. She used it plenty of times, and noticed that it beeped constantly when IT wanted you to stop, but on inspection, always left about 6-8 inches, so used to push back a bit more. She didn't listen to it.

It was a very large vehicle, and I can see why she did it, but she did it deliberately and got caught out.
                  This presents a real conundrum of modern times. I contend that owners of large cars tend to be more skilled in the art of 'damage free parking' than the owners of small cars. Anecdotal evidence shows that in any car park with neat lines to assist in parking in a sociable and considerate fashion, the owners of tiny little cars will often park outside of the lines, while the owners of large cars will park inside the lines (or not at all due to granny who takes up two spaces with her micra). This is probably due to the fact that owning a large expensive car necessitates a high level of skill in parking. So should the laydee be provided with a large car so she may learn to park correctly, with the concomitant risk of expensive damage, or should she be provided with a small car, with low damage costs to the car itself but with no didactic benefit to the laydee's parking skills?
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    while the owners of large cars will park inside the lines
                    I'm not sure I agree with you on that one. I see many more large, expensive cars parked over two spaces to either prevent someone parking too close to them, or because they would struggle to fit between the lines.

But, I did find parking a big car much easier for some reason. Maybe it is to do with visibility too, as someone else said.
                    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                      I'm not sure I agree with you on that one. I see many more large, expensive cars parked over two spaces to either prevent someone parking too close to them, or because they would struggle to fit between the lines.

But, I did find parking a big car much easier for some reason. Maybe it is to do with visibility too, as someone else said.
                      I’ve just got rid of my ridiculously large car and I used to park it far away from any other cars, as it didn’t really fit into a normal space properly, the tyres would be on both white lines. However, whenever I got back to it, they’d always be some tit who felt the need to avoid all the other parking spots and park right next to it, like he had option paralysis and had to park near other cars. Parking the motorhome in Supermarket car parks, I simply parked horizontally across 3 bays way away from the entrance, as I had to!

Comment

Working...
                      X