• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Muslim awareness classes for schools?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    if we accept that it is ok for people to get together and form a group that believes in violence against other living things we are, by our lack of opposition to it, promoting it to be a valid belief system.
    That sounds a bit like a Bushism; 'if you're not with us then you're against us', or rather 'you can't be one of us if you're not against them'.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      How, precisely, would anything be 'promoted to be a valid belief system'? Other than the Church of England, which has a constitutional role, what would this 'promotion' entail? Could the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster go through a similar process?

Islamic faith schools, extremist teaching is pretty common in these places.

Extremism unchecked in schools, secret briefing reveals - Telegraph

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
        So the NFU is a religion?
        if it wanted to call itself one yes...

anyone can start a religion

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
          Your interpretation.

The core of all these beliefs is the same, it is always the ambiguities which causes extremists and by you saying "that is a fact" you have just placed yourself amongst them...

It is not, that part is literal.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

Well in that case there seems to be a reason to to take action against those particular schools, but that's something different to denouncing a whole religion.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

It is not, that part is literal.
              Ah my apologies, I didn't realise you were an Islamic scholar with a degree in arabic and islamic history.....

Comment

The Koran advocates violence towards women, that is fact.

What the nation has to work out is if a religion that believes such things should be promoted to be a valid belief system. I don't think it should.
                The bible advocates violence to women in certain circumstances. Before you say the New Testament didn't say that Jesus did tell his followers to follow the Old Testament laws.

In other words no Abrahamic religion should be promoted in the UK as religions are as mad, bad and destructive as their worse followers. (Talk to people from NI if you don't believe me.)
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

yes but it is the schools of that faith which are teaching the extremism

how can we fix that - it is up to the faith to fix that (in much the same way as it is up to the catholic church to sort it's priest/choirboy issue out)

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    The bible advocates violence to women in certain circumstances. Before you say the New Testament didn't say that Jesus did tell his followers to follow the Old Testament laws.

In other words no Abrahamic religion should be promoted in the UK as religions are as mad, bad and destructive as their worse followers. (Talk to people from NI if you don't believe me.)
                    I don't think there is much of a problem with Christians women's rights in the UK.

Can we say that about Muslim women? In fact as we don't have the balls to make them register their faith marriages underage weddings are pretty common and also having multiple married women is pretty common, I cant even be bothered starting on the face masks, forced marriage, honour killings or mutilation. These problems are rampant. We should stop making excuses for them and be more confrontational if we want to bring the religion into the 21st century.

Comment

It's not just religious schools, lLook at schools in Japan and how they hide or gloss over attrocities and wonder why there are still issues in the region

When I went to school the education system was overrun by intefering lefties who wanted to try and indoctrinate us, religion is part of the problem but not the only one

What is horrifying is that we allow religious schools to do this, when it something that the government could stop if it wanted to
                      Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Working...
                      X