• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Books that have made an impact on you

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    It's retrospectively gone up by £200 per day?
    Inflation 'innit?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      Wot Poppings said. Def the best book I've read recently (originally recommended by Ketchup - credit where credit's due!)

As a kid, it was war time stories - Ian Serraillier's Silver Sword, Meindert DeJong House of Sixty Fathers and Anne Holm I am David have all stuck with me over the years, but couldn't persuade my kids to read them.
      In terms of kids stories: I remember Swallows and Amazons and Just William. And the very atmospheric books set in the 2nd World war (from memory) by Malcolm Saville.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Other than the Bible (rather obviously)...
        • What's so Amazing about Grace (Yancey)
        • Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!

And probably reading Asimov's robot stories as a child are subconsciously a big part of my interest in science and technology.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Added the 2nd one to my list. Ta.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

In terms of kids stories: I remember Swallows and Amazons and Just William.
            Ah memories. I recently re-read the Billy Bunter books after finding them mouldering on a shelf at my mother's house
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!

Yes, good one - had me chuckling. Got it somewhere in my collection, I think.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Wow you have all this time to read countless books?

Two clients to work for and a young family too...almost seems like you are alone and unemployed sometimes....

Comment

Any of the Janet and John books. Without which I probably wouldn't have read any other book.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    [*]Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman![/LIST]

And probably reading Asimov's robot stories as a child are subconsciously a big part of my interest in science and technology.
                    Yes, good one - had me chuckling. Got it somewhere in my collection, I think.
                    Will print and read in bed

http://www.chem.fsu.edu/chemlab/isc3...eyn_surely.pdf
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Does make me chuckle too. All of the time in the world to post all day, but not at night, all these clients and hard work, and now a library the size of Denver to boot. I mean, some simply wouldn't believe it all...

The best works of fiction sas owns, is his CV, and his multitude of qualifications

Comment

Working...
                      X