• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Books that have made an impact on you

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to go out to Portland a lot and you could still imagine smuggling in the local area, for some reason it always reminded me of Moonfleet with it's tales of smuggling

The book left an impression on (no someone didn't try and hit me with it), that and the various tv/film adaptations over the years
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Just looked that up on amazon. Does look interesting - will add it to my list.
      I did recommend it to you before your holiday

Comment

HTML for Dummies.

Still struggling with the intro, but has enabled me to bill £700/day since 1992.

Comment

Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
          Most valuable books I ever bought....

Engineering Mathematics - Ken Stroud
          Further Engineering Mathematic - Ken Stroud

... saved my engineering degree skin.
          Aye. Got copies of those somewhere, although if I look at them now after having a done a proof-based maffs course, they do seem a bit simplistic.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

So you did. I did take the 2nd of your recommendations and enjoyed it thoroughly. I like to read fiction on holiday.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Why the West Has Won
              Guns, germs and Steel
              Collapse
              Snowcrash
              The Exorcist (book is awesome, although the film is very good)
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

This;
                An Introduction to General Systems Thinking (Silver Anniversary Edition): Gerald M. Weinberg: 9780932633491: Amazon.com: Books

This;
                The Quark and the Jaguar: Adventures in the Simple and the Complex: Murray Gell-Mann: 9780805072532: Amazon.com: Books

This;
                The Metamorphosis and Other Stories (Dover Thrift Editions): Franz Kafka, Stanley Appelbaum: 9780486290300: Amazon.com: Books

This;
                Congo: The Epic History of a People: David van Reybrouck: 9780062200112: Amazon.com: Books

and several others
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                  Why the West Has Won
                  Guns, germs and Steel
                  Collapse
                  Snowcrash
                  The Exorcist (book is awesome, although the film is very good)
                  Yes have read the second one - can't remember it though, so no impact on me.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                    I'm reading 'Nothing to Envy', which was mentioned on here by Mudslipper. Eye opening and sad; that's had an impact.
                    Wot Poppings said. Def the best book I've read recently (originally recommended by Ketchup - credit where credit's due!)

As a kid, it was war time stories - Ian Serraillier's Silver Sword, Meindert DeJong House of Sixty Fathers and Anne Holm I am David have all stuck with me over the years, but couldn't persuade my kids to read them.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      HTML for Dummies.

Still struggling with the intro, but has enabled me to bill £700/day since 1992.

It's retrospectively gone up by £200 per day?
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X