• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice Needed - Student Son's housemate threatening violence !

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with OG. If the landlord is made aware he could lose 2 out of 3 tenants, he might be receptive to the idea of removing the troublemaker and allowing them to choose a replacement.

Alternatively, could you afford to buy him out of the tenancy?
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Am not so sure about that. Student landlords tend to be a hard line lot and know the system well enough. He doesn't have to do squat and is due the rent for the period regardless of what they people in the property get up to. You are going have to have a bloody good argument why the landlord would want to mess about like this when he has a year long contract and your deposit in his grubby hands (ok maybe the deposit isn't quite in his hands but you get my meaning)
      That sucks. As a 'renter' I try to be just as careful about choosing my landlord as I am my home.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Go around with 3 or 4 mates, kick the living tulip out of him and watch him pack his bags the little scroat.

Advertise for a new flat mate.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
          I agree with OG. If the landlord is made aware he could lose 2 out of 3 tenants, he might be receptive to the idea of removing the troublemaker and allowing them to choose a replacement.
          Yeah, it's an interesting idea.

That would stick in my throat. The problem one should get his arse kicked out IMO. I'd rather son moved out, got somewhere else and told the old landlord to sue him. Him having told the landlord of the problem and the threats, I'd hope the LL wouldn't win.

But Plan A (or rather Hope A) is to get the troublesome one out.

Comment

Buy him out? Is that how it works?! Last time I rented it was a months notice. 15 years ago right enough

Hope it works out OP.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
              Go around with 3 or 4 mates, kick the living tulip out of him and watch him pack his bags the little scroat.

Advertise for a new flat mate.
              Well and good until the other one comes back and burns the house down, or returns mob handed. Violence always escalates out of control.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

No landlord wants their property damaged as even though they have a deposit it won't cover the cost of the damage guys can make if they start fighting. If the two boys stick together they should be able to get the landlord to kick out the trouble maker.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Well and good until the other one comes back and burns the house down, or returns mob handed. Violence always escalates out of control.
                  It doesn't. One of my brother son's was getting bullied at school. They went through all the channels and nothing. My brother went around the boys house and beat the tulip out of the father, and told him he'd do it every time his son bullied my brothers. It stopped overnight.

Violence is all this pricks understand. As much as that might sound daft, it's unfortunately true; make it very clear that's what the deal is, do a good enough job, and he wont be back.

Comment

That would stick in my throat. The problem one should get his arse kicked out IMO. I'd rather son moved out, got somewhere else and told the old landlord to sue him. Him having told the landlord of the problem and the threats, I'd hope the LL wouldn't win.

I agree. But taking that option could make your son's future difficult - he'd not be able to get a reference, and I'm not sure if the landlord could pursue him for the remainder of the rent owed.

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    Buy him out? Is that how it works?! Last time I rented it was a months notice.
                    As far as I'm aware, with an assured tenancy you're signed in for the duration. If you want to leave early, you either pay to the end, or pay any backfill costs.

Hope it works out Platypus - forcing the twat to leave might work, but you might have to cover the cost of replacing him.
                    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Get some advice from these guys. Probably better to end the joint tenancy agreement and move out.

Problems with housemates - Shelter England

Don't see how he can live there any more.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X