• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Am I been taking for a ride

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Angrybunny View Post
    This is working for an investment bank in London.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      I have seen and have used (inadvertently) vendors for free consultancy, until they send you a signed contract they aren't agreeing to pay you anything. That is Key, luckily you have avoided expending any money so far. Look for other contracts as well, they may change their mind.
      Been there, been used to provide free consultancy and then "the role went to someone internally". What, they just suddenly found an experienced developer in this particular niche who'd been hiding behind the sofa??

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      Now this may be a personal experience but I don't have a lot of time for TCS, many of the guys there are really nice but they were happy to work people for expertise first time I met them and many of their guys though intelligent had little experience.
      Seen this happen as well.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I have worked with several body shoppers over the years, there is a real art form to being successful with them. First off they do expect mobility so its no biggie that they asked you to run up to Liverpool for a chat. It can sometimes be a good sign of impending pots of money in the offing for hours spent listening to your car stereo. If this is your first out of permie role then you really should get some experience elsewhere first.

In essence what B.S shops like are permies. Permies can be made to work ridiculous hours and bullied. Next best thing for them are contractors that still think like a permie they cost more but the B.S can still use intimidation and make them work long hours. The top of the stack is the really clever guys that can shred their permies, wont take any crap BUT can make up for the rest of the woeful team of idiots that the shop has put in at a massive margin.

If you are one of those then you can command serious revenue and do what the hell you want as long as you are on their message and they see that you do something that none of their guys can...

Comment

The call on Monday was with the end client (IB). I explained to them carefully what I could and couldn't do. (I don't want there to be any misunderstanding for my first role).

The end client rejected me as I they wanted someone with IB experience. I explained to the TCS chap that I thought it was bad form I had been verbally offered a role when clearly I had not completed the interview process,he apologised.

My gut feeling all along was that this 'offer' was not legitimate. I just wanted the job and the day rate so kidded myself into believing it.

No hard feelings on my part, you live and learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Angrybunny View Post
            The call on Monday was with the end client (IB). I explained to them carefully what I could and couldn't do. (I don't want there to be any misunderstanding for my first role).

The end client rejected me as I they wanted someone with IB experience. I explained to the TCS chap that I thought it was bad form I had been verbally offered a role when clearly I had not completed the interview process,he apologised.

My gut feeling all along was that this 'offer' was not legitimate. I just wanted the job and the day rate so kidded myself into believing it.

No hard feelings on my part, you live and learn.
            Sorry to hear that. Very annoying.

The IB experience thing is annoying. IB roles are way easier than roles outside IB intellectually. Its just that some can't put up with commuting/crowds/being shouted at.

Onwards and upwards!

Comment

Very annoying but has happened to me a couple of times, all willing & excited until it comes to sign on the line, at least you didn't go to Liverpool at your own expense to hear it. Or find out the job had no budget.

Good job you kept your other irons in the fire!
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
              X