• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Heating's on

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did crack - just put it on for a few hours last night - erm just to make sure the towels were dry you understand...

I have a combi boiler and should I just leave it on auto with the thermostat set to say 19 and should it then just keep my house at a constant temp?

Comment

Pfft, heating? I closed a window last night but that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        I did crack - just put it on for a few hours last night - erm just to make sure the towels were dry you understand...
        We have a heated towel rail for that. And I used it to dry my cycling kit on last night.

Comment

Go on san, on me 'ed! On me 'ed!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I only have 3 piece of coal to last all year so it's staying off for now.
            Ugh scratch that. It's my dads birthday in a couple of weeks so thats 2 pieces for the heating.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              Your plumber is a plum.

The rate of energy loss is proportional to the temperature. Ergo, you are losing (and therefore replacing) more energy when the tank is hot than when it cools right down and you bring it up to the same temperature again.

Though I doubt the tank is part of your central heating system, the same principle applies to the rooms in your house.
              WDS.

In theory yes, if you had a perfectly insulated house, but you don't and so you are constantly replacing the heat that's being lost from your house to the outside via the walls, roof, doors, windows etc

To prove it to yourself you could try taking a meter reading, keeping your heating on for a week then taking a reading and then do the same with your boiler timer settings (assuming weather remains approximately constant)?
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

It's technically on but only to make sure the towels are warm and dry in the morning - windows are all still open and the summer duvet is definitely still the right choice.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                  Pfft, heating? I closed a window last night but that's it.
                  Pfft, close a window? I opened mine as far as I could and left the fan on all night.

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
                    Pfft, close a window? I opened mine as far as I could and left the fan on all night.
                    But you are in the balmy South - not the frozen wastelands of the North.

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
                      Pfft, opened a window? I knocked a wall down just let some more air in.

Comment

Working...
                      X