• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

JSA claim - hmm bit different this time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Finally, today have had a letter to my home address addressed to my company asking me to give reasons why employee finished work. Will probably get mrs (as director) to sign it rather than fill in myself to avoid any hassles.
    Fill out the form yourself! It'll be fun.

I applied for income based JSA, but decided in the end I couldn't be arsed sending the form back because they wanted company accounts, evidence of savings, share certificates etc. etc. and nobody would tell me for certain whether I'd ultimately get any. Then somewhat unexpectedly they gave me contributions based JSA, even though everybody and everywhere told me I wasn't entitled (because I resigned from a permie job). I imagine if they ever look closely they'll want their £280 back. Who knows?

Yes we (or you) are self-employed to all intents and purposes, but legally speaking you're not, and if you're dealing with the likes of the Job Centre you really should be correct about your tax and employment status.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Are you sure you are cut out to be an unemployed contractor?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Can I remind you of the professional forum standards please? http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...al-forums.html
        He's a ******* moron

to quote you. So this is OK is it?

Probably knowing this forum because you're one of the regulars who can do no wrong on here it seems....
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
          There was a thread about this a while ago - NLUK would tell you to use the search function. IIRC, yes you can claim, without winding up the company, for reason of being temporarily laid off. Whether or not you have a warchest has no bearing on your claim, unless your warchest is over £16K.

Certainly, the fact that you may have 6 months worth of living expenses saved away shouldn't stop you claiming. It's the crap you have to go through for JSA that might stop you claiming. I've had to do it twice after being made redundant from permie jobs and hated it.
          Funnily enough they do ask if you've got over £16K savings but not how much is in the company.

Yes it is hassle and if I knew it was going to be short term I wouldnt bother. BUT I dont want to be still on the bench in 6 months and think - crap I could have got £1800 or so. WOuld have paid the mortgage for a few more months.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Saying so don't make it so. We all know damn well 90%+ of us are self-employed, working through a Ltd company setup for reasons of practicality/necessity. For all intensive purposes you are self employed, certainly as far as JSA are concerned.

Printing yourself some business cards which say you're a big-shot company director doesn't fool anyone. Even you. If you don't answer "I run a company" or "I'm a company director" when someone at the tennis club/pub/BBQ/dinner party asks you "what do you do" then you don't believe it either.
            But the official definition of self-employed as per HMRC is to be registered as thus and trade as a sole trader or part of a partnership. Not to be a director of a limited company.

But I agree with what you're saying though apart from that.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              Fill out the form yourself! It'll be fun.

I applied for income based JSA, but decided in the end I couldn't be arsed sending the form back because they wanted company accounts, evidence of savings, share certificates etc. etc. and nobody would tell me for certain whether I'd ultimately get any. Then somewhat unexpectedly they gave me contributions based JSA, even though everybody and everywhere told me I wasn't entitled (because I resigned from a permie job). I imagine if they ever look closely they'll want their £280 back. Who knows?

Yes we (or you) are self-employed to all intents and purposes, but legally speaking you're not, and if you're dealing with the likes of the Job Centre you really should be correct about your tax and employment status.
              They told me straight off your mrs earns £600 a month part-time - way over the limit for income based....

Surprised you got it if you resigned. Assume previous employer would have got letter about you.

Think I'll just get mrs to sign it in her capacity as director. Might be truthful (and fun) to do myself but it'll just lead to hassle.

Funnily enough the women at the jobcentre asked me for a contact name at my employer and I said me. Then she tried to say I had to give name of someone where I worked (i.e client) but I said no I don't.

Comment

Psychocaaaaaannnndddddyyyyyyyyy.....
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  He's a ******* moron

to quote you. So this is OK is it?

Probably knowing this forum because you're one of the regulars who can do no wrong on here it seems....
                  Shouldn't you be looking for work?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    Shouldn't you be looking for work?
                    and telling us aaaaaaaaaall about it?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      and telling us aaaaaaaaaall about it?
                      Do not encourage him....

please

for the love of god

that's any god I'm not fussy

do not encourage him
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X