• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie antics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

....ah this puts it in a different light completely

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      ....ah this puts it in a different light completely

The go live date was changed by his bosses boss.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

then he needs to leave. On the day he leaves he should go and meet the bosses boss and throw a custard pie in his face...
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          The go live date was changed by his bosses boss.
          You should make him a low offer for the Disney tickets so they don't go to waste.

Comment

Take plenty of sick leave. up to 5 days are self sertified.

Comment

He is the PM
              I can't understand the bosses' attitude. Getting the PM to go away for a week can only help get the project done on time.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

This isn't remotely unusual - I've seen people asked to move their holiday on the basis of changing deadlines (go live and other things) many times in the past. Yes holidays happen so you should plan for them, but that adds to resource requirements, so people will try and get away without it, i.e. their plan will assume no holidays and no sick leave, no slack whatsoever, because it keeps the projected cost down. Obviously it invariably ends up meaning increased costs in the long run, but execs are normally oblivious to that sort of logic (if they were pragmatic/logical they wouldn't be execs). Some people back down, some dig in and take the holiday anyway. Depends entirely on how vital you are to the project, but if you are important enough to the project to be asked to move your holiday, you are probably valuable enough to the company that they will grudgingly accept it when you take the holiday anyway. The brightest ones are smart enough to know this, so normally end up taking the holiday. But project managers will continue to try this technique because if their plan is flimsy enough that they need to use it, they probably have very little good will to lose anyway. Looking for another job in the hope of finding an IT project where this doesn't happen isn't a great plan, as in my experience it's pretty common everywhere.
                "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  I can't understand the bosses' attitude. Getting the PM to go away for a week can only help get the project done on time.
                  What if the senior manager needs the project to fail?
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    What if the senior manager needs the project to fail?
                    Now there's an interesting thought.

What would happen if you were put in charge of a project where you had believed it to be unachievable using approach A and had petitioned for approach B only to be told that A was going to be the approach because of politics.

You're now responsible to deliver A. What would you do?
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Now there's an interesting thought.

What would happen if you were put in charge of a project where you had believed it to be unachievable using approach A and had petitioned for approach B only to be told that A was going to be the approach because of politics.

You're now responsible to deliver A. What would you do?
                      Call for suity?

Comment

Working...
                      X