• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Splitting the Bills

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    I have no problem with men paying mortgage and bills and the woman staying at home with the kids/working part time (or vice versa although it seldom happens) as long as both partners are happy with the arrangement and the sharing of the money earned isn't a point of contention or a control tool. But unfortunately such arrangements, when things do go wrong, result in the sort of threads we see too often where suddenly the money is "mine" and she's a money-grabbing bitch for expecting to come out of the marriage with half a house when she didn't pay for it.
    Dear dinner challenged , I agree with you.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      I pay for everything and give the missus an allowance of £1200 per month.
      No wonder she's on the game. That won't even cover her heroin bill.

Comment

I have no problem with men paying mortgage and bills and the woman staying at home with the kids/working part time (or vice versa although it seldom happens) as long as both partners are happy with the arrangement and the sharing of the money earned isn't a point of contention or a control tool. But unfortunately such arrangements, when things do go wrong, result in the sort of threads we see too often where suddenly the money is "mine" and she's a money-grabbing bitch for expecting to come out of the marriage with half a house when she didn't pay for it.
        It is a bit of a challenge sometimes, my Kids kept telling me what 'Mummy had bought them' when they were younger. Eventually we had a discussion and Mrs V explained to them where the money had come from. Both sides can be bad at that.

The problem frequently in marriage break ups is that one side wants to walk away with more than the other and frequently more than a dispassionate observer would consider fair.

There does seem to be a perception that the larger earner should subsidise the lower earner for the rest of their life. Where kids are involved that sometimes makes sense.

But if a millionaire marries a penniless person who never brings any money into the marriage and there are no children from the marriage why is that person entitled to a life of comfort at divorce?
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

We've had a joint account since we got married. There is no concept of what is "my" money and what is "hers".
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by rhubarb View Post
            Which is somewhat annoying seeing as I've had to give up due to impending bench time,meaning I can't afford to smoke.
            Ouch just think how much better your lungs will be?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Mrs OG works 3 days per week. I am on NMW. I have 2 shares in MyCo. She has 1 share. Mortgage comes out of my account. Everything else we just muddle through.

Comment

Mrs MUN works 7 days a week. 2 days as a primary school teacher and 5 as a mother of two kids, one of them mildly autistic.
                "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                  Mrs MUN works 7 days a week. 2 days as a primary school teacher and 5 as a mother of two kids, one of them mildly autistic.
                  You abandon your kids 2 days a week!
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Previously BGG paid the lion’s share when he was the major bread winner, but our situations have now changed, and now I cover the majority.

We both pay into a joint account to cover bills, then what’s left in individual accounts is spending cash

Happy to say that its worked for us over the last 23 years, but everyone is different.
                    Growing old is mandatory
                    Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      You abandon your kids 2 days a week!
                      Good lord NO!!!

I abandon them 7 days a week.
                      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                      X