• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does anybody really bother?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did my own registration online,first one I tried was free, surprised me because it is product related, quick check for a domain and got product-consulting.co.uk so job done, not that I've done anything with the domain yet apart from my email address, but I will one day.
    Last edited by BigRed; 7 August 2013, 12:34.

Comment

First letter of wife, mother and father's. ABC Technologies Ltd.

Comment

I tried but I was too late

DONG HUNG POWER TRANSMISSION INDUSTRIAL CO. | CENS.com | Supplier Site
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          More like Norfolk 'n Good Limited
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
            I bothered.

But then, I want to grow a real business so will want to market more in the company name, not just set up a company and sit as a disguised employee.
            Oh get over yourself you tart!

Have a look at companies listed stock exchanges or even limit yourself to multi-nationals and you will find loads of bog-normal names or names that could've just come off a list. I assume you must count them as "real business"

I doubt that there is any correlation between the time you spend thinking up a name for your Limited and your chances of hitting the big-time.

Comment

When I had a Ltd. back in the days when contractors were paid cash I was offered a list of names
              Same here. So I chose XXX Services Ltd. Then they went and introduced IR35!
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Mine had to have the initials FTM so I could stick it on my business cards.
                It's a mackem thing.
                Blood in your poo

Comment

I was watching Futurama when I came up with my Ltd Co name and it's in honor of one of the President's heads. A quick domain name check and I had the .com, .eu and .co.uk registered.

I did start off with the company being my name cos I couldn't think of anything else but it was very simple to change it once I worked out what I wanted. You could do the same with an off the shelfer if you just want to get started quickly.

I would never choose a company name that I couldn't get a domain name for.

Comment

Originally posted by Dactylion View Post
                    Oh get over yourself you tart!

Have a look at companies listed stock exchanges or even limit yourself to multi-nationals and you will find loads of bog-normal names or names that could've just come off a list. I assume you must count them as "real business"

I doubt that there is any correlation between the time you spend thinking up a name for your Limited and your chances of hitting the big-time.
                    Oh noes! I actually spent some time thinking about a company name! I guess I really should get over myself... Twat.

I didn't want "MyName Ltd", as my surname is too generic, and Firstname Lastname Ltd doesn't suit my plans.
                    I didn't want "CoName Training Ltd" as I don't want to limit the company to training.
                    I had a few thoughts, but found them taken, or too similar to other companies.

The company name is a part of the marketing that I'm starting for my company. If all you're doing is oneman band contracting, and the company is only being used to basically process your invoices, then fine - you can get away with a stupid name as only agents and direct clients that are engaging you will ever see it, most likely after they've decided to engage you. If you're trying to promote your business in a professional way, then a company called "I'm A Nobber Ltd" might not get the response you hope for.
                    Yes, the name can be picked off a list, and just be one that "sounds nice" (in fact, mine is probably a little like this), or it can actually mean something (which mine does also, just in forrin loike). I'm not arguing against this, just saying that, like reading contracts, monitoring finances, etc, I decided to take some care over other aspects of my business.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      I was watching Futurama when I came up with my Ltd Co name and it's in honor of one of the President's heads. A quick domain name check and I had the .com, .eu and .co.uk registered.
                      How is Richard Nixon Consulting Ltd working out for you?
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X