• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Does anybody really bother?"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Only Nixon could go to China
    Nixon went to China to help mend an inter-continental rift.

Because Mao couldn't get the escarator to work

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    I couldn't have given a tiny rat's arse.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    How is Richard Nixon Consulting Ltd working out for you?
    Very well, don't seem to get a lot of defence work for some reason

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I was watching Futurama when I came up with my Ltd Co name and it's in honor of one of the President's heads. A quick domain name check and I had the .com, .eu and .co.uk registered.
    How is Richard Nixon Consulting Ltd working out for you?

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by Dactylion View Post
    Oh get over yourself you tart!

Have a look at companies listed stock exchanges or even limit yourself to multi-nationals and you will find loads of bog-normal names or names that could've just come off a list. I assume you must count them as "real business"

I doubt that there is any correlation between the time you spend thinking up a name for your Limited and your chances of hitting the big-time.
    Oh noes! I actually spent some time thinking about a company name! I guess I really should get over myself... Twat.

I didn't want "MyName Ltd", as my surname is too generic, and Firstname Lastname Ltd doesn't suit my plans.
    I didn't want "CoName Training Ltd" as I don't want to limit the company to training.
    I had a few thoughts, but found them taken, or too similar to other companies.

The company name is a part of the marketing that I'm starting for my company. If all you're doing is oneman band contracting, and the company is only being used to basically process your invoices, then fine - you can get away with a stupid name as only agents and direct clients that are engaging you will ever see it, most likely after they've decided to engage you. If you're trying to promote your business in a professional way, then a company called "I'm A Nobber Ltd" might not get the response you hope for.
    Yes, the name can be picked off a list, and just be one that "sounds nice" (in fact, mine is probably a little like this), or it can actually mean something (which mine does also, just in forrin loike). I'm not arguing against this, just saying that, like reading contracts, monitoring finances, etc, I decided to take some care over other aspects of my business.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I was watching Futurama when I came up with my Ltd Co name and it's in honor of one of the President's heads. A quick domain name check and I had the .com, .eu and .co.uk registered.

I did start off with the company being my name cos I couldn't think of anything else but it was very simple to change it once I worked out what I wanted. You could do the same with an off the shelfer if you just want to get started quickly.

I would never choose a company name that I couldn't get a domain name for.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Mine had to have the initials FTM so I could stick it on my business cards.
    It's a mackem thing.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    When I had a Ltd. back in the days when contractors were paid cash I was offered a list of names
    Same here. So I chose XXX Services Ltd. Then they went and introduced IR35!

Leave a comment:

• Dactylion
    replied
    Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    I bothered.

But then, I want to grow a real business so will want to market more in the company name, not just set up a company and sit as a disguised employee.
    Oh get over yourself you tart!

Have a look at companies listed stock exchanges or even limit yourself to multi-nationals and you will find loads of bog-normal names or names that could've just come off a list. I assume you must count them as "real business"

I doubt that there is any correlation between the time you spend thinking up a name for your Limited and your chances of hitting the big-time.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    More like Norfolk 'n Good Limited

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I tried but I was too late

DONG HUNG POWER TRANSMISSION INDUSTRIAL CO. | CENS.com | Supplier Site

Leave a comment:

• rdglad
    replied
    First letter of wife, mother and father's. ABC Technologies Ltd.

Leave a comment:

• BigRed
    replied
    I did my own registration online,first one I tried was free, surprised me because it is product related, quick check for a domain and got product-consulting.co.uk so job done, not that I've done anything with the domain yet apart from my email address, but I will one day.
    Last edited by BigRed; 7 August 2013, 12:34.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    I thought long and hard about the company name and that it related to my work but would also allow me to diversify if ever i needed to, how the logo / header paper would look with company name etc. as well as ensuring that the website .com and .co.uk were available.

So in short, yes.

Leave a comment:

• RiCu
    replied
    Wanted something personal but professional, so named MyCo after the dog.

Floppy Ears O'Stink Mutt.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X