• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep calm and keep invoicing.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Be calm and smile at her.

Give her some of your daft and silly homilies that grace your posts here.

Shine benignly at her Buddah style.

(Your misogynistic streak is showing through, I'd watch that if I were you.)
      Don't get that one. So now one can't have a pop at a bird who's clearly out of order?

Last edited by oscarose; 22 July 2013, 21:09.
      one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post

Don't get that one. So now one can't have a pop at a bird who's clearly out of order?

Miss, Miss he said 'Bird' shall we hang im now Miss?
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Miss, Miss he said 'Bird' shall we hang im now Miss?
          Definitely, he said 'bint' and 'slag' too.

Wonder what the words would have been had the 'hitler' been a bloke.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post

You honestly don't get it?? No problems criticising her actions but you think it's ok to call her a slag and talk about putting a black bag over her head because she's ugly?

You don't see an issue with that?
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
              What is her job in relation to yours?

I got a really interesting shift in my own perception by a quite bright B/A. Having gone round the theory of how you use a cloud environment for the fortieth time or more and hitting the same old brick walls. He took me to one side and said look you need to treat them as epically stupid and paint you thoughts in very tiny steps. You are making the assumption that everyone in the room can keep up with you. ( it was a technical audience so I thought they probably should)

What you need to do is take her wind out of her sails. If she is continually complaining its probably because she is also trying to make herself look bright. So what you do is take away her ability to complain by doing a few things.

1) Don't take on the world and do everything thats possible set your team to no more than 60% capacity with the other 40% used to stay on the front foot and anticipate requests. Under perform for a bit and bring the expectations down some. Using phrases like we are over burdened for tasks at the moment or we really need some time to think about what we are being committed to because we might not be in a position to deliver. Its not a natural place for a clever person to be but trust me. Set your stack to suit your needs not someone that wants to overload you and slag you off for not delivering

2) Now you have set expectations really low you can ignore work requests from this woman because you have already established the fact that you are busy and working like dogs. I presume that her Excel sheets need data from your sources to work so now she is stuffed... Once she is really screaming because you can control her work load. Now you can reintroduce taking work from her but demand that she sends you an email with her exact requirements and a then negotiate a sensible time for that detail to be returned to her. (Hit that deadline using your 40% spare time and make sure you BCC her boss into the conversation showing how well you respond to her needs and how well it is done)

3) The next time she goes shouting off about your team go and see her and point out that her Boss gets every email you send her and if she doesn't pack it in you will be involving him to put her back in line as you have met every demand that she has placed on you despite being incredibly busy etc...

Wise words - time to sit back and chill, not rush and carry on producing quality work and kick back random requests and give a 2 week lead time.

one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                You honestly don't get it?? No problems criticising her actions but you think it's ok to call her a slag and talk about putting a black bag over her head because she's ugly?

You don't see an issue with that?
                Agreed that was out of order.

one day at a time

Comment

mother of god, you guys are a riot! Nearly spewed my coffee twice on the table
                  I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    +1

What is her role? Or supposed role and how does it effect you?
                    Head of client services...

I'm permie now after bailing out of contracting due to falling rates and bobs...

Staying calm so far this week. Make hay not war...
                    one day at a time

Comment

Working...
                    X