• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Men only golf courses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gyms are businesses. If there wasn't a demand for ladies sessions, that increased revenue (i.e. people who would not otherwise attend), they wouldn't have them. If there was a demand from men only sessions that increased revenue they would have those too. There are enough women who go to those sessions only to make it worthwhile having them. It's no different to an 'over 50s' exercise club or anything else that gets people who wouldn't be there through the doors.

Comment

it is discrimination plain and simple.

you cannot come in because you are male

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        Gyms are businesses. If there wasn't a demand for ladies sessions, that increased revenue (i.e. people who would not otherwise attend), they wouldn't have them. If there was a demand from men only sessions that increased revenue they would have those too. There are enough women who go to those sessions only to make it worthwhile having them. It's no different to an 'over 50s' exercise club or anything else that gets people who wouldn't be there through the doors.
        Which is fine, but if you are closing the facility to groups of people to accommodate it then those who are excluded can expect a discount.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I agree with that, and can see why women would want ladies sessions. But i can also see why there is a market for men-only golf courses. There is an additional overhead in maintaining the ladies tees, ladies competitions, having a lady captain. Plus it is a nightmare getting stuck behind a group of lady golfers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
            I agree with that, and can see why women would want ladies sessions. But i can also see why there is a market for men-only golf courses. There is an additional overhead in maintaining the ladies tees, ladies competitions, having a lady captain. Plus it is a nightmare getting stuck behind a group of lady golfers.
            Especially old fat ones
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              it is discrimination plain and simple.

you cannot come in because you are male
              But if there was sufficient demand for a male-only session I'm sure these would be arranged. Do you also find the concept of single-sex toilets discriminative?

Comment

privately funded Gyms are a business (just like privately run Golf clubs) but in Mr LLoyd's case and mine both were partially funded by the council, therefore the majority of tax paid by mainly male taxpayers (sorry it is statistically true as you ladies earn less) is subsidising female only sessions without a matching male only session.

Search for ladies only Gyms and you will find plenty, there is one male only gym mentioned.

I have no problem with privately funded gender specific sessions so long as they are run sensitively but when my tax and even membership is paying for it I have a right to object.

So if you want to create a female golf course go for it, if you want ladies only gyms go for it but pay your way and don't complain about privately funded men only organisations.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
                  But if there was sufficient demand for a male-only session I'm sure these would be arranged. Do you also find the concept of single-sex toilets discriminative?
                  as per the article he suggested that as a compromise and was fobbed off.

Toilets being gender specific are directly related to public decency and physical make up. They are that way because we are different physically and it is a moment of intimacy that need not be shared.

Now if it were naked gym sessions then you might have a point.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    as per the article he suggested that as a compromise and was fobbed off.

Toilets being gender specific are directly related to public decency and physical make up. They are that way because we are different physically and it is a moment of intimacy that need not be shared.

I think some would argue that workouts are also "moments of intimacy" as people who go to the gym are often self-conscious about their body and can think of nothing worse than being viewed by the opposite sex with their bodies on show with their wobbly bits jittering.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Though not a very big one

Comment

Working...
                      X