• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When do you give up on a book?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    Almost gave up on To Kill a Mockingbird. I think it's one of those books that you have to read when you're young to appreciate fully. Like Huckleberry Finn.
    Read it for the first time a couple of years back having not seen the film. I enjoyed it.

Comment

I can put up with a book being a bit tulip and badly written but when writers start relying on lazy clichés I generally give up.
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        I gave up on Bored of the Rings, and then years later I gave up on the film too.

I did read The Hobbit, but only to try to find out how to do the computer game.
        ROFL!! Same here I couldn't get across the lake for ages. Ah memories. Wasn't it the troll clearing that was a right bitch to get out of as well.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Generally I'll either read about 10 pages, or the whole thing. However I'm very fickle choosing books from new authors... browsing Amazon you've nothing to go from other than the title and cover really! So I'll take a punt on books on sale to a quid and get some nice surprises.

As Sas mentioned the Kindle, you can normally get the first chapter free but I don't seem to make much use of that - probably I should get the free bit of loads and loads of books as a way to find new things, but the investment of time when I could re-read an old favourite and I'm very busy is difficult.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

If I have the time then I'll generally persevere to get through most things. Notable exceptions are catch-22 which took two attempts 3 years apart and Anna Karenina which was just mind numbingly boring. (Mrs P loved it)

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              If I have the time then I'll generally persevere to get through most things. Notable exceptions are catch-22 which took two attempts 3 years apart and Anna Karenina which was just mind numbingly boring. (Mrs P loved it)
              I read Catch-22 recently and enjoyed it mostly.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                I read Catch-22 recently and enjoyed it mostly.
                I did too in the end. I think the first attempt was on a trip to Boston, so I started on the flight over but didn't get a chance to finish. By the time I picked it back up I'd forgotten what had happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                  Never got into Ulysses. I go back to it every so often to see if I can make some progress but inevitably give up.
                  This^

Even Joyce himself admitted that the book was designed to keep literary scholars busy for decades trying to understand it.

Very, very rare that I do not finish a book, but another pseudo-intellectual bullsh*t book to add to the list 'god, this is simply rubbish' is:
                  Gravity's Rainbow: Amazon.co.uk: Customer Reviews: Gravity's Rainbow

EDIT: And add Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (as someone mentioned it above.) A huge disappointment.
                  Last edited by nomadd; 12 July 2013, 07:13.
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

At 16 tried, very hard, more than once, to read Ulysses, never got more than 30 pages in.

I was a bit sceptical of Tolkien anyway, but probably made a mistake by trying to start with The Silmarillion, gave up rapidly and never went near him again.

Comment

Zen and Art of Motorcycle Maintenance was an important book for me. I latched on to some of the philosophy, thought, re-read, re-thought, and turned my understanding of the world inside out.

Note not saying its a good book, or that anyone else should read it! Even I found large chunks boring and the book unsatisfying as a whole.

Comment

Working...
                      X