• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Murray deserves knighthood

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    He may have won the US open again but he won't have won the aussie open because that occurs in January after the New Year Honours are announced.
    Doh! The Davis Cup then?

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
      Doh! The Davis Cup then?

qh
      Nope - we aren't even in the top group.

There is the Masters in November, though.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
        Ashes cricket team in 2005
        None of them got knighthoods.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

You may have a Knighthood because as a nation we are crap at <insert> but you alone are not. If we are good at something the same level of skill and dedication is required to win but they just get passed over. Some irony or something like that there.

Knighthood to the all members of the first UK team to win the Kabaddi world cup eh?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            When you can fit a million plus people in centre court, please let us all know how. There are hundreds of sailing clubs and thousands and thousands of active sailors in the UK alone, where it is a minor sport - in other nations it is a far more popular sport.
            And they all sail "Laser" Class do they?

Top Tip.....try reading the post properly first before opening your gob and letting all that hysterical wind and piss gush out.
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

The Olympics defines "sailing" as the sport, not "laser sailing", and changes the classes raced from time to time. He won medals in both the Laser and Finn class actually he gave up Lasers years ago), but weirdly those are not considered separate events. Now he races yachts and plenty of people have sailed on those.
              If YOU actually knew anything about sailing you'd know that of course.

But if you insist on being idiotically petty, clearly grass-court tennis is different from clay or hard-court. How many people world-wide do you reckon have played tennis on a grass court? Or cycled specifically inside a velodrome - clearly these details are massively important.

Maybe it'd be better if you just came and and said what you actually are thinking, which is that since a Scot has won something he is clearly more important than the hundreds of English people who win things every year...
              Last edited by d000hg; 9 July 2013, 11:29.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                The Olympics defines "sailing" as the sport, not "laser sailing", and changes the classes raced from time to time. He won medals in both the Laser and Finn class actually he gave up Lasers years ago), but weirdly those are not considered separate events. Now he races yachts and plenty of people have sailed on those.
                If YOU actually knew anything about sailing you'd know that of course.

But if you insist on being idiotically petty, clearly grass-court tennis is different from clay or hard-court. How many people world-wide do you reckon have played tennis on a grass court? Or cycled specifically inside a velodrome - clearly these details are massively important.

Maybe it'd be better if you just came and and said what you actually are thinking, which is that since a Scot has won something he is clearly more important than the hundreds of English people who win things every year...
                I can see your point however sailing and rowing are very minor sports as are darts and ice sweeping (the scots have a name for it but I am damned if I can remember what it is). Tennis on the other hand is a very big global sport played by millions (probably second to football) so being being the best meams being better than a lot more people than in rowing or sailing.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  Tennis on the other hand is a very big global sport played by millions (probably second to football) .

Cretinous POTD
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    Tennis on the other hand is a very big global sport played by millions (probably second to football) so being being the best meams being better than a lot more people than in rowing or sailing.
                    Swimming (and I believe angling) are the most popular sports by participation.

According to Sport England tennis comes in 7th. Lots of people watch Wimbledon but not many people actually play.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

As far as individuals are concerned, Hoy got his for being the best over three or more Olympics plus several world championships. Similarly Wiggo (plus his Tour win), Redgrave, Pinsent and Ainslee. Similarly Faldo after six golf majors.

So far, Murray has had one top year.

Ramsey, Woodward and Brailsford got theirs for managing British teams to be the best in the world. Ferguson for his success over 30 years in management. Botham got his for many years of charity work. Obviously none of this applies to Murray.

The only footy player knighted while still playing was Stanley Matthews, and the only cricketer while still playing was Richard Hadlee, both near the end of long careers.

So all in all, I don't see any justification for knighting Murray now or in the near future. And so I go back to Cameron, what he said was daft.

Comment

Working...
                      X