• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How many miles will a BMW 5 series 530D do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    No, but perhaps you should have
    She suffered from terrible Kurtosis....

Comment

No, but perhaps you should have
      I'm guessing the OP is a contractor unlucky enough not be able to work from home and has to travel long motorway distances. reliability is an issue then, no?
      Can WFH......

Comment

It's the drive to make them ever more powerful/economical whilst at the same time the EU are banning 'nasty' fuel additives, some people are adding 2 stroke oil to modern diesels to make up for the lubricating and cleaning effect additives used to provide.

If the DPF doesn't get you the swirl flaps will.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
          Can WFH......
          Oh I see, you want a posing car.
          Where I live a 9 year old BMW would scream chav wannabe.
          Maybe its different up North.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Private plate. Sorted.

KNOB END funny/rude private cherished number plate | eBay

Comment

Dunno about chav's. Young guy in ageing BMW = wanna be exec but never really made it so got an old BMW instead. Makes him feel like an exec. Older guy in ageing BMW = failed exec hanging on to the remnants of his career. Chavs have the really really old ones.

NWP2C is dead set on this and looking at the fact he is going for the sport ones rather than a bog standard one and won't consider anything else it is clearly all about image so just go buy one. That will be worth more to the OP than repair and running costs so no point comparing it with anything else. All you gotta do now is try pick a gem out of a pool of average to below average cars and chance your luck. At that price you can try it and if it isn't quite right clean it up and sell to the next sucker.

Forget this lot and go get it.

BTW thought about a 7 series at all? £50k car for peanuts.
              Last edited by northernladuk; 3 July 2013, 10:14.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                She suffered from terrible Kurtosis....
                Severe kurtosis does indeed indicate absence of normality.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

1. Because the data show that German cars are not that reliable. Although they pay British advertising agencies a fortune to brainwash people.
                  2. That sort of car will probably have been caned.
                  Most taxi drivers in Germany have German cars and they have extremely high mileage and tend to be reliable. I know of at least 3 who have over 500,000km on the clock and are faily drivers. As long as you service it regularly and by someone who knows then you should be in the clear. I think many people buy a German car and because servicing at a main dealer is not cheap, take it to a local bloke (or mate) and you don't get the same quality. Sorry, I just don't buy into this 'German cars are unreliable' mentality as I've only ever had them in the last 25 years and never a serious problem (apart from the AMG) and I do high mileages at high speeds.
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    . Sorry, I just don't buy into this 'German cars are unreliable' mentality as I've only ever had them in the last 25 years and never a serious problem (apart from the AMG)
                    It's not a "mentality", it's what the data show.
                    There are probably other reasons why German cabbies buy German, including the taxi firms business models: bulk servicing discounts as they are local models etc.
                    You could argue that in the UK, where cabbies buy their own car, all minicabs are Japanese.

If you had been driving Japanese perhaps you would never have had a problem - as I have never had.
                    Of course reliability is relative, and all cars are much better than in the 70s, but still no one would argue that every indicator shows Jap > German in reliability and German > Jap in performance
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Dunno about chav's. Young guy in ageing BMW = wanna be exec but never really made it so got an old BMW instead. Makes him feel like an exec. Older guy in ageing BMW = failed exec hanging on to the remnants of his career. Chavs have the really really old ones.

NWP2C is dead set on this and looking at the fact he is going for the sport ones rather than a bog standard one and won't consider anything else it is clearly all about image so just go buy one. That will be worth more to the OP than repair and running costs so no point comparing it with anything else. All you gotta do now is try pick a gem out of a pool of average to below average cars and chance your luck. At that price you can try it and if it isn't quite right clean it up and sell to the next sucker.

Forget this lot and go get it.

BTW thought about a 7 series at all? £50k car for peanuts.
                      Cheers but it genuinely is not about image - would happily buy the 525 or even the 520d but can't find any (they are a lot more in demand due to cheaper running costs).... I have had a look at 3 Series but they seem to be even more expensive!

Comment

Working...
                      X