• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking out a will

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had one done by a solicitor about 15 years ago. Five years ago, we re-did it using an online service. I couldn't see the difference - except in the amount that it cost.

If you're following the normal inheritance paths, there really is no need to involved a professional.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Aye but with a contractor you get a contractor doing the work but with a solicitor you pay for a solicitor and a 17 year old spotty oik on minimum wage does the work...
      +1
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

We did ours 22 years ago. Hubby still hasn't got round to getting his signed...

Comment

Freebie: Do Your Own Will Online — Free Online Will. There's even an app
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            If you die intestate it does not mean your wife inherits, in theory HMG could get the lot!
            HMG will get it all sooner or later... with 40% death tax it won't take many generations

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              HMG will get it all sooner or later... with 40% death tax it won't take many generations
              WHS
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                Did that involve travelling anywhere or someone coming out to you - also did you get the witnesses yourself?
                Bloke came to our house, got witnessed ourselves by people at work.

Cost about £120 if I remember correctly.
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  If it's straightforward, then do it yourself - my first will was one that I wrote myself and then got witnessed correctly. Then when I got married, that one became void.

If there is any complexity, then get a solicitor to do it - won't cost much to do. Make sure you get a copy of it, and make sure that someone else knows where the will is kept - my family had no idea which solicitor had copies, and we didn't have one at home.
                  Bit in bold is critical. My sister's partner was very sick and made a will in her favour. They got married and he didn't make a new will. When he died he was intestate which was very stressful.

Comment

Come November, try will aid Will Aid

Comment

It will be especially important after tonight's big win.

Comment

Working...
                      X