• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking out a will

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    I'd go to a proper lawyer, used to these kinds of dealings, for it's not that much more expensive, and they will make sure you cover things you haven't thought about.
    Exactly.

Comment

If it's straightforward, then do it yourself - my first will was one that I wrote myself and then got witnessed correctly. Then when I got married, that one became void.

If there is any complexity, then get a solicitor to do it - won't cost much to do. Make sure you get a copy of it, and make sure that someone else knows where the will is kept - my family had no idea which solicitor had copies, and we didn't have one at home.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        I need to make a will out and was wondering if I can use an online service, a WHS Smith pack or whether it's best to get a solicitor in? How did you lot do it?

I used the search first to see if anyone else had asked & they had but it was such a poor quality thread I thought it best to ask it again.
        Can you bequeath your wife to me?
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Can you bequeath your wife to me?
          You can't keep one woman happy, how you gonna cope with two?
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            You can't keep one woman happy, how you gonna cope with two?
            He'll have the milkman AND postman around all the time.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              I need to make a will out and was wondering if I can use an online service, a WHS Smith pack or whether it's best to get a solicitor in? How did you lot do it?

I used the search first to see if anyone else had asked & they had but it was such a poor quality thread I thought it best to ask it again.
              Use a solicitor.

Personally I think that's a no-brainer. They know the angles for your circumstances, what's important, and how to do it. They'll also store a copy for you.

I did a new one recently, which cost me about £250. That's cheaper than my rate for all the time I'd do researching it and then still possibly forgetting something.

Comment

You can't keep one extra woman happy, how you gonna cope with two?
                FTFY

I have you know I've never had a complaint from Mrs Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  FTFY

I have you know I've never had a complaint from Mrs Mac.
                  She's been very quiet since she died
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

She's been very quiet since she died
                    Sweet release.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                      Use a solicitor.

Personally I think that's a no-brainer. They know the angles for your circumstances, what's important, and how to do it. They'll also store a copy for you.

I did a new one recently, which cost me about £250. That's cheaper than my rate for all the time I'd do researching it and then still possibly forgetting something.
                      Considering MF is supposed to have hundreds of different assets, investments and money making schemes on the go, I'd say a team of lawyers at a minimum advised by onshore and offshore tax consultants.

Or a £20 WHS kit as used by all down and outs.

Whichever is nearer the truth.

Comment

Working...
                      X