• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Don't know how you do it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I'm based in South Ken, but normally take contracts out of London to avoid the hellish daily commuting.

Last time I had a contract in the West End I gave up on the Tube and buses for a while, and walked - Took less than an hour, but then one has to put up with hordes of dopey rubbernecking tourists mooing about everywhere and blocking the pavements.
    I've done the walking thaang and it's pleasant as long as the sun shines....now I wfh 4 days with a 1 day at the office commute around the M25
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
      I stay with her at the weekend when she calls herself Bernard.
      FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
        I hope I don't come across you, for I would say something. I hate the tube, and just the idea of getting on it puts me in a bad mood.
        You have your ducks to keep you company now, so I am guessing you will be just fine

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
          You have your ducks to keep you company now, so I am guessing you will be just fine
          Why is it people think I am leaving contracting? We'll be slowly moving into shifting down a gear, not quitting until 4 or 5 years, as we want to consolidate the pension funds, with flats.

Just don't stand on my ankle

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
            Why is it people think I am leaving contracting? We'll be slowly moving into shifting down a gear, not quitting until 4 or 5 years, as we want to consolidate the pension funds, with flats.

Just don't stand on my ankle
            I do actually reserve that behaviour for extreme cases of plebes that are beyond manners, so you should be fine. There was one chap that got removed from a train by his stupid oversized backpack once but I have to be very pissy to get that far (not unknown though) I actually like London believe it or not

Comment

The Northern Line is dreadful; full of misfits and foreigners. I am really tempted to carry a pair of clippers and cut peoples headphone wires. Alternatively carry around pre-printed notes to drop into their open rucksacks telling them that they are morons for having such loud headphones going tishty, tish, tishty, tish, tishty, tish, tishty, tish, tishty, tish, tishty, tish, tishty, tish, tishty, tish,
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Waterloo and City line to Bank and walk?
                Thanks for that suggestion OG. I took this option this morning and it was so much simpler. Yes the tube was busy, but not quite so packed, and as I didn't have to fart around with changing lines it took the same amount of time to complete the journey, even with the short walk!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  The Northern Line is dreadful; full of misfits and foreigners. I am really tempted to carry a pair of clippers and cut peoples headphone wires. Alternatively carry around pre-printed notes to drop into their open rucksacks telling them that they are morons for having such loud headphones going tishty, tish, tishty, tish, tishty, tish, tishty, tish, tishty, tish, tishty, tish, tishty, tish, tishty, tish,
                  That was Bose 'over ears' noise cancelling headphones are made for. Drives me insane. For the first few months of this contract, I stayed at a campsite with the motorhome in Edmonton. Bus-Train-Tube/Tube-Train-Bus each day was a bind, being the only English person on board. I walked back from the Train station one night, as the buses were all tulip, and was followed by, I assume, a bunch of Romanians/Poles/Russians intent on doing me no good. Ended up in a pub as I was carrying about 7k's worth of electronics...

Nah London, you can keep most if it. The only bit I have ever liked is walking across Waterloo bridge at night in summer, after a couple of drinks, seeing the old city all lit up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                    Thanks for that suggestion OG. I took this option this morning and it was so much simpler. Yes the tube was busy, but not quite so packed, and as I didn't have to fart around with changing lines it took the same amount of time to complete the journey, even with the short walk!
                    W&C is bearable by virtue of only being a 5 minute journey. There are good bus links from Bank if you are a bit further from the station as well.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                      No charge. Nice part of town to walk through.

Comment

Working...
                      X