• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract with big bucks VS contract with average bucks but spend time with fam

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Each to their own.

Spending more time with the kids when they are growing up and want you around is priceless as far as I'm concerned.
    I do spend more time with my kids, than I would if I were permie locally.

That's my point...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      But one day he may look back and wish that he'd missed being around the babies and earned more money instead.
      I am sure we have all had that day ... even the bit about earning more money .. actually I have up to 7 of those days a week
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
        I do spend more time with my kids, than I would if I were permie locally.

That's my point...
        Since the OP works at home, then a suggestion to work away from home is going to result in less contact time with the family.

That's my point...
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Since the OP works at home, then a suggestion to work away from home is going to result in less contact time with the family.

That's my point...
          I read that as I can, not I do...

I do work from home, twice a week, and because of this, do not have to rush out of the door at 7.30 as the kids are getting up, and I don't get back just in time to see them bathe; I eat breakfast with them, take them to school, play with them, and pick them up, do their homework. I spend more time with my kids, than I would do if I had a fairly local gig.

Comment

My daughter is almost 13 and frankly gets cheesed off when I work from home all week! She likes having the house to herself for a couple of hours on Tues & Wed when she gets in from school.
            I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
              I don't see it like this. If you can WFH a couple of days a week, during the week, the kids have clubs, and by the tiem you get home form your regular gig, its 6pm, dinners on the table, then it's 7, bath time, then they're off to bed. I'd rather the WFH scenario, as on Mondays and Fridays, I get to breakfast with them, play with them, take them to school, then work, then go and pick them up. I actually end up spending more time with them, than I do, or would, if I worked locally.

Just work out the hours.
              WHS. If you have an average daily commute you don't actually see your kids. I'm much better off working away and being at home a couple of days a week.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                Checks to make sure this is General

Take the £95k and buy a new family
                WHS
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  WHS
                  You selling yours then, Suitie?
                  I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

sorry guys, to make it clear, I do work from home - all the time...so I see them 24/7....which at times make me feel but when I am away for the odd day, I feel as though i miss them a lot -sorry to sound like a big pansy....

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
                      For what it's worth I'm looking at doing that voluntarily - leaving the London rate behind and spending more time with the family.
                      It's easier said than done as there are always some expenses and it's hard to build up a decent warchest
                      yasockie, are you about to make the decision or have made it?

Comment

Working...
                      X