• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract with big bucks VS contract with average bucks but spend time with fam

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    On a serious note, how much of the extra £55k will be lost in travel and accommodation?
    about 22k I reckon

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
      I guess you also have to think of your other half, if you are not there to pitch in with the housework and looking after the kids.Would you need to spend more on childminders, cleaners etc.?
      If you can manage fine on what you are getting then stay put.
      we can manage fine on the 40k, we're not a live it up family so far. Not bothered about having the latest, or the flashiest things....got a healthy war chest and my dad has helped out on gifting some dough to me....

which makes me think why should I chase the money, family is more important. But then I think I would have to work 2 extra years to generate the same level of revenue, I could retire earlier with the money...then I turn back around with, the babies grow so quickly and before I know it they'll be grumpy teens and I might have a few extra thousand in the saving account, but life's moved on...

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Half of £95K is approx £40K, which is what you'll be left with when he/she leaves you for being away from home.

HTH BIDI
        Only £20k after tax...

Comment

Originally posted by wantacontract View Post
          we can manage fine on the 40k, we're not a live it up family so far. Not bothered about having the latest, or the flashiest things....got a healthy war chest and my dad has helped out on gifting some dough to me....

which makes me think why should I chase the money, family is more important. But then I think I would have to work 2 extra years to generate the same level of revenue, I could retire earlier with the money...then I turn back around with, the babies grow so quickly and before I know it they'll be grumpy teens and I might have a few extra thousand in the saving account, but life's moved on...

This.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Only £20k after tax...
            That's very good.

Comment

You have two young children, who want you around at the moment. You won't get that time back again.

Before you know it, they'll be teenagers who want you to go away and leave them alone, and if that means you earn more money they can spend, the better.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                You have two young children, who want you around at the moment. You won't get that time back again.

Before you know it, they'll be teenagers who want you to go away and leave them alone, and if that means you earn more money they can spend, the better.
                I don't see it like this. If you can WFH a couple of days a week, during the week, the kids have clubs, and by the tiem you get home form your regular gig, its 6pm, dinners on the table, then it's 7, bath time, then they're off to bed. I'd rather the WFH scenario, as on Mondays and Fridays, I get to breakfast with them, play with them, take them to school, then work, then go and pick them up. I actually end up spending more time with them, than I do, or would, if I worked locally.

Just work out the hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                  I don't see it like this. If you can WFH a couple of days a week, during the week, the kids have clubs, and by the tiem you get home form your regular gig, its 6pm, dinners on the table, then it's 7, bath time, then they're off to bed. I'd rather the WFH scenario, as on Mondays and Fridays, I get to breakfast with them, play with them, take them to school, then work, then go and pick them up. I actually end up spending more time with them, than I do, or would, if I worked locally.

Just work out the hours.
                  Each to their own.

Spending more time with the kids when they are growing up and want you around is priceless as far as I'm concerned.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

You do not need the money so do not go after it.
                    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                      You do not need the money so do not go after it.
                      But one day he may look back and wish that he'd missed being around the babies and earned more money instead.

Comment

Working...
                      X