• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the time?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    My proposal just
    Whenever I encounter a phrase like "just do x", I know that x will turn out to be either ludicrously complex or provably impossible

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      The whole point is that the system time can't be involved in any way, as it cannot be trusted. If a user has their clock set to a timezone offset several hours different from where they are, their locale set to a location several hours different in the other direction, and is accessing the Internet through a proxy server on the other side of the world from their location, you can't show them an accurate time. And as the complaint was not that the clock was inaccurate, but rather that it could be inaccurate due to relying on the system time, you're back at square one.
      You can display the timezone next to the clock. Probably easier than trying to guess timezone.

The problem of accurate time still exists, you'd need to do something similar to ntp which uses system time to compute rtt to the server. Then you could compute the offset from the server time and use the system clock to provide ticks.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

As we are now on page 4 with no agreed consensus of opinion, maybe they were right to just remove it?!
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          You can display the timezone next to the clock. Probably easier than trying to guess timezone.

The problem of accurate time still exists, you'd need to do something similar to ntp which uses system time to compute rtt to the server. Then you could compute the offset from the server time and use the system clock to provide ticks.
          Which was what I suggested in my original comment. either way ho hum and
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
          X