• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

450,000 foreigners are stranded in Britain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

450,000 foreigners are stranded in Britain

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5193018.stm

Asylum backlog 'under-estimated'

'Inadequate records mean officials do not know exact numbers'

Ministers are set to admit that they may have significantly under-estimated the number of failed asylum seekers living in Britain, the BBC has learnt.
    Last year the National Audit Office estimated that the figure could be as much as 283,000 - but at the time the Home Office insisted that was too high.

But a trawl of files in the Immigration and Nationality department has produced between 400,000 and 450,000 case files.

The news comes as Home Secretary John Reid is set to shake-up his department.

Home Office sources say that because of poor record keeping, officials are unable to calculate the exact number of failed asylum seekers, but the figure is far higher than previous estimates.

'Amazed'

The revelation means that the backlog of asylum cases will therefore take longer to clear.

The government has so far refused to say how long it estimates will be needed to clear the asylum backlog.

IMMIGRATION FACTS:
    Backlog of failed asylum seekers due to be removed from the UK: 155,000-283,000

Time the PAC says it will take to clear the backlog: 10-18 years

Voluntary departures from UK in January and February: 770

Time taken to decide asylum application: 90% made within two months under new rules

Q&A: Asylum removals

But a recent report by the Commons Public Accounts Committee (PAC) warned that it would take between 10 and 18 years.

Committee chairman Edward Leigh told the BBC he was "amazed" by the disclosures.

"Are we going to take the next half a century to perhaps clear the backlog of failed asylum seekers because the Home Office is in such chaos?"

BBC political editor Nick Robinson said he had been told that the filing system in the immigration department "sometimes consists of cardboard files on a windowsill covered in Post It notes".

He said officials did not know if the contents were duplicated, if people had died or moved or are now allowed to stay in the UK.

Sackings 'possible'

Ministers will have to inform Parliament of the error since Sir John Gieve, the ex-permanent secretary at the Home Office, gave inaccurate information to the PAC.

It was also Sir John who was forced to apologise to the same committee about the number of foreign prisoners who could and should have been deported.

The news comes as Mr Reid is set to unveil plans for reforming his department, which he described as "not fit for purpose".

He made the stark assessment following the release of more than 1,000 foreign prisoners without consideration for deportation, which led to the sacking of Charles Clarke as home secretary in May.

Nick Robinson says he understands a major shake-up of the way the Home Office is run will see many senior officials moved from their posts or sacked.

Prison places

The Immigration and Nationality Directorate will become an agency run "at arms length" from ministers, he said.

The BBC understands that Mr Reid is also set to announce funding for 8,000 new prison places - boosting current capacity in British jails from around 78,000.

No timetable on when these new prison places will be introduced has been disclosed.

Under existing plans, an extra 1,000 places would become available from next June and by 2007, the capacity would reach 80,400. Ministers have concluded that this is inadequate.

The Treasury insists that the Home Office budget for the next three years has not been reopened.

It claims the Home Office has not spent all its capital budget and will make 3% annual efficiency savings.
    Vieze Oude Man

P.S niceley smuggled out by new labour while war brews in the middle east...
    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Plus the 100k pa illegal immigrants. (UN figures)
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

What we need is a lot of vigilante groups wandering around asking three questions of people at random to determine if they are legally British. If they fail to answer correctly they are shot. So which three question best determine British nationality? I suggest

1) What sort of dogs does the queen like?
        2) Which is stronger, Carlsberg Export or Fosters?
        3) How many legs did Jake the Peg have?
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Q: Your wife answers you back in public. Do you:

(a) Start hitting her with the Qur'an

(b) Sell her to a prostitution gang

(c) Stone her

(d) All of the above

That should just about cover it.
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Sing the theme songs from "Magpie" and "Rainbow".
            We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Just shout something rude about Allah and kill anyone who obviously takes offense.
              Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Heard a human rights type bloke talking about this earlier - he reckons that we should let them all stay and give them all jobs 'cos they're really nice cuddly people really who just want to be loved and cherished.

No two ways about it - the UK will end up being the new Atlantis

Comment

From my experience they are not stranded but on the back of the bus smoking illicit drugs or hanging rouns shopping centres.

Comment

Without the will to tow the boats back to Africa or repatriate this is doomed to failure (btw Spains granting of a amnesty last year has caused a lot of the current influx)

"A plan to create rapid reaction teams of border guards to deal with European Union immigration crises has been unveiled by the European Commission.
                    The teams would be assembled by the EU border security agency, Frontex, from lists of experts in member states.

The plan would help the EU respond to appeals for assistance, such as Spain's request in May for help dealing with African migrants in the Canary Islands. "
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X