• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cold cold cold

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    When I read about Global warming, I read it that as, if the ice caps melted due to global warming, then sea temps in the mid Atlantic, would push the Gulfstream south, meaning cooler wetter summers.

Then what’s happening? For I read this morning, in the Times, that the sea temps have dropped 3 degrees, with the met office saying it is why we’re having a colder, wetter start to summer.

So it kind of makes sense, that global warming, will make it colder, and wetter.

The gulf stream follows a South -North trajectory and travels up the middle of the Atlantic to the arctic circle. It can´t shift South. It´s either there or it isn´t.

It´s still there because otherwise the arctic on the Atlantic side would freeze up, and the Norwegian coast would be locked in.

The Gulf stream hasn´t slowed down.

It´s cold because the Jet stream has moved South (that´s a wind in the upper atmosphere).
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      The gulf stream follows a South -North trajectory and travels up the middle of the Atlantic to the arctic circle. It can´t shift South. It´s either there or it isn´t.

It´s still there because otherwise the arctic on the Atlantic side would freeze up, and the Norwegian coast would be locked in.

It´s cold because the Jet stream has moved South (that´s a wind in the upper atmosphere).
      I've tried explaining this....

Comment

The Gulf Stream, together with its northern extension towards Europe, the North Atlantic Drift, is a powerful, warm, and swift Atlantic ocean current that originates at the tip of Florida, and follows the eastern coastlines of the United States and Newfoundland before crossing the Atlantic Ocean. The process of western intensification causes the Gulf Stream to be a northward accelerating current off the east coast of North America. At about 40°0′N 30°0′W, it splits in two, with the northern stream crossing to Northern Europe and the southern stream recirculating off West Africa. The Gulf Stream influences the climate of the east coast of North America from Florida to Newfoundland, and the west coast of Europe.
        HTH

It doesn't go north - south, far from it. That's crazy speak.
        Last edited by Old Hack; 29 May 2013, 14:59.

Comment

Ask the expert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRf5pqnY-H4

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            OK

Experts

Comment

HTH

It doesn't go north - south, far from it. That's crazy speak.
              Obviously South to North, we´re discussing the flow that goes past Britain.

There you go it "splurges" hot water up the Atlantic to the North Pole. None of these flows are going to "move South", either it works or it doesn`t.

...and if you are saying it has moved South perhaps you could post a link showing a graphic of how it managed to move South.

Without flooding the European continent it´s not clear to me how it could "move South".
              Last edited by BlasterBates; 29 May 2013, 15:07.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Obviously South to North, we´re discussing the flow that goes past Britain. This Goes SW to NE from what I can see, past Britain, but this is a different current

There you go it "splurges" hot water up the Atlantic to the North Pole. None of these flows are going to "move South", either it works or it doesn`t.

...and if you are saying it has moved South perhaps you could post a link showing a graphic of how it managed to move South.

Without flooding the European continent it´s not clear to me how it could "move South".
                Obviously, the bit that goes past Britain isn't called the Gulfstream, it's called the north atlantic drift, iirc. The gulfstream goes elsewhere, if you look, it goes up and below greenland, and down to West Africa. Other currents take over from there.

If you're going to be dense, then of course you can carry on, but all this is, is a current of water, that moves swiftly; shifting it doesn't increase a body of water, it moves it, so why on earth would there be flooding in Europe, that's just a really, really stupid thing to say; the path of the current would move south, and it's that which drives the theory. saying thsi isn't possible, well, I'll leave it there.
                Last edited by Old Hack; 29 May 2013, 15:13.

Comment

I used to think BB was a troll, but then I came to the conclusion that he's really, genuinely, very thick indeed. But you can tell that from his day job.

Just realised that even DP finds him thick.
                  Last edited by sasguru; 29 May 2013, 15:50.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Obviously, the bit that goes past Britain isn't called the Gulfstream, it's called the north atlantic drift, iirc. The gulfstream goes elsewhere, if you look, it goes up and below greenland, and down to West Africa. Other currents take over from there.

If you're going to be dense, then of course you can carry on, but all this is, is a current of water, that moves swiftly; shifting it doesn't increase a body of water, it moves it, so why on earth would there be flooding in Europe, that's just a really, really stupid thing to say; the path of the current would move south, and it's that which drives the theory. saying thsi isn't possible, well, I'll leave it there.

It´s called sarcasm.

never mind....

Last edited by BlasterBates; 29 May 2013, 15:58.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

It´s called sarcasm.

never mind....

No its called stupidity, despite your desperate effort to weasel out of it.

Face it you weren't put on earth to set it alight with your intellectual brilliance.

Now back to you dull, boring, poorly-paid permie job, there's a good fellow
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X