• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Challenge for the UKIP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disinformation --

Good EU:

The EU - What's in it for me?

providing 57% of our trade
    structural funding to areas hit by industrial decline
    clean beaches and rivers
    cleaner air
    lead free petrol
    restrictions on landfill dumping
    a recycling culture
    cheaper mobile charges
    cheaper air travel
    improved consumer protection and food labelling
    a ban on growth hormones and other harmful food additives
    better product safety
    single market competition bringing quality improvements and better industrial performance
    break up of monopolies
    Europe-wide patent and copyright protection
    no paperwork or customs for exports throughout the single market
    price transparency and removal of commission on currency exchanges across the eurozone
    freedom to travel, live and work across Europe
    funded opportunities for young people to undertake study or work placements abroad
    access to European health services
    labour protection and enhanced social welfare
    smoke-free workplaces
    equal pay legislation
    holiday entitlement
    the right not to work more than a 48-hour week without overtime
    strongest wildlife protection in the world
    improved animal welfare in food production
    EU-funded research and industrial collaboration
    EU representation in international forums
    bloc EEA negotiation at the WTO
    EU diplomatic efforts to uphold the nuclear non-proliferation treaty
    European arrest warrant
    cross border policing to combat human trafficking, arms and drug smuggling
    counter terrorism intelligence
    European civil and military co-operation in post-conflict zones in Europe and Africa
    support for democracy and human rights across Europe and beyond
    investment across Europe contributing to better living standards and educational, social and cultural capital.

Bad EU:

Ten Reasons to Get Rid of the European Union | EuropeNews
    Trouble in the Eurozone - latimes.com
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/c...or-the-US.html
    http://struggle.ws/pdfs/EUpam.pdf
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Are you against extra rights for pregnant workers? Why? Seems sensible to me.
      Not in principle, but there are already considerable burdens on small businesses that can make it a very expensive choice to hire women in permanent roles; this just adds to that. Not necessarily a problem for a larger business, but in a small company with only a few employees, the maternity leave, requirements of pregnant workers and so on can be a huge burden. I know quite a few business owners who simply don't give permie contracts to women between 20 and 45, because they feel they can't afford the costs if the woman becomes pregnant. Maybe this is a good idea in principle or for the future, but in the current climate where many businesses are fighting to survive, it's not a good idea. Thanks, Nigel Farage MEP, for helping Brussels to raise costs for businesses in Britain and all over Europe.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Not in principle, but there are already considerable burdens on small businesses that can make it a very expensive choice to hire women in permanent roles; this just adds to that. Not necessarily a problem for a larger business, but in a small company with only a few employees, the maternity leave, requirements of pregnant workers and so on can be a huge burden. I know quite a few business owners who simply don't give permie contracts to women between 20 and 45, because they feel they can't afford the costs if the woman becomes pregnant. Maybe this is a good idea in principle or for the future, but in the current climate where many businesses are fighting to survive, it's not a good idea. Thanks, Nigel Farage MEP, for helping Brussels to raise costs for businesses in Britain and all over Europe.
        I would say inappropriate usage of the internet during working hours by employees/contractors is a much larger burden on business.
        And it's very shortsighted to oppose anything that might raise the European birth rate.
        In this case, for once, I agree with the UKIp vote.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          Disinformation --

Good EU:

The EU - What's in it for me?

providing 57% of our trade
          structural funding to areas hit by industrial decline
          clean beaches and rivers
          cleaner air
          lead free petrol
          restrictions on landfill dumping
          a recycling culture
          cheaper mobile charges
          cheaper air travel
          improved consumer protection and food labelling
          a ban on growth hormones and other harmful food additives
          better product safety
          single market competition bringing quality improvements and better industrial performance
          break up of monopolies
          Europe-wide patent and copyright protection
          no paperwork or customs for exports throughout the single market
          price transparency and removal of commission on currency exchanges across the eurozone
          freedom to travel, live and work across Europe
          funded opportunities for young people to undertake study or work placements abroad
          access to European health services
          labour protection and enhanced social welfare
          smoke-free workplaces
          equal pay legislation
          holiday entitlement
          the right not to work more than a 48-hour week without overtime
          strongest wildlife protection in the world
          improved animal welfare in food production
          EU-funded research and industrial collaboration
          EU representation in international forums
          bloc EEA negotiation at the WTO
          EU diplomatic efforts to uphold the nuclear non-proliferation treaty
          European arrest warrant
          cross border policing to combat human trafficking, arms and drug smuggling
          counter terrorism intelligence
          European civil and military co-operation in post-conflict zones in Europe and Africa
          support for democracy and human rights across Europe and beyond
          investment across Europe contributing to better living standards and educational, social and cultural capital.

Bad EU:

Ten Reasons to Get Rid of the European Union | EuropeNews
          Trouble in the Eurozone - latimes.com
          Why the EU Constitution is bad for Britain and bad for the US - Telegraph
          http://struggle.ws/pdfs/EUpam.pdf
          That is what the EU is SUPPOSED to do after its bureaucrats and politicians have firstly taken their cut.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I would say inappropriate usage of the internet during working hours by employees/contractors is a much larger burden on business.
            And it's very shortsighted to oppose anything that might raise the European birth rate.
            In this case, for once, I agree with the UKIp vote.
            You don't raise the birth rate by making it more expensive to employ women.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              That is what the EU is SUPPOSED to do after its bureaucrats and politicians have firstly taken their cut.
              Explain with examples
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                Explain with examples
                My goodness that's a hard one (said the actress to the bishop)

I suggest you just type in the word corruption and EU into Google add in any of its functions (CAP, Fisheries) and Bobs your uncle.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  My goodness that's a hard one (said the actress to the bishop)

I suggest you just type in the word corruption and EU into Google add in any of its functions (CAP, Fisheries) and Bobs your uncle.
                  So why don´t the UKIP MEP´s bring this corruption to the attention of the European Parliament and propose a motion to have the relevant commissioner sacked, which is the main function of the European Parliament.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    You don't raise the birth rate by making it more expensive to employ women.
                    You don't raise it by making it harder for working women to have children
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

You don't raise it by making it harder for working women to have children
                      No, that doesn't work either, but YOU pointed to the birth rate, I didn't. I think the low birth rate in Europe is related to the level of wealth in Europe, very low agricultural sector employment, high degree of urbanisation, education for women and low rates of child mortality. I don't think there are examples in the books of cases where a government intervention in the labour market has raised the birth rate, except in a few rather unsavoury regimes where women were encouraged to breed for the fatherland. There's more evidence that improvements in the rights of women during the last century or so have led to a falling birth rate.

However, I should point out that while I did a lot of demography during my studies, the research that was published up to the early 90s was primarily from the angle of governments that wanted to understand how to lower birth rates, seeing as the big issue in the past was thought to be population explosions in the developing world. Even though demographers warned of the 'demographic timebomb' that's exploding now, nobody really seemed interested to hear. Urbanisation was found to be a big factor in lowering birth rates, as well as rights for women and education. Quite simply, nobody researched how to raise birth rates because that wasn't seen as a problem and there wouldn't have been much funding for it. Since then, highly developed countries are experiencing economic problems partly due to low birth rates so maybe there's more room for research on this. Thing is, a spatial demographer might argue that international migration can pick up the slack, and indeed in terms of numbers, it can, but it also involves various social issues and controversies that we notice every day.

In short, I don't believe that giving extra rights to female workers will lead to a higher fertility rates; I don't know of any evidence for that, but plenty of evidence that improving the rights of female workers lowers birth rates. Again, I'm not morally opposed to the idea, I just think it raises costs for businesses at a very inopportune moment.

Comment

Working...
                      X