• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bought the Farm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well done, now go and muck out the pigs.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I don't envy you having to deal with the fookwits that are DEFRA
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
        You'll have to change your username from "Old Hack" to "Old MacDonald".
        ..He had a farm..

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
          Ok, bought a farm, but hey ho.

Cue the barely thought out insults from the usual suspects. However, I DGAS, as I took 20% off asking, and it's exactly, to the letter, what we wanted, including water course and South South West Facing and everything we wanted out of it.

Give me your worst, but I really wouldn't care.
          living the dream. brilliant
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            living the dream. brilliant
            Old Macdonald had a farm, EO EO EO..

Comment

Nice one. Is that the end of contracting then? Still looking for a workable plan B myself. Currently on plan AF and no luck.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                Old Macdonald had a farm, EO EO EO..
                'Old MacDonald was dyslexic....E I E A B

Comment

Exciting

But really hard work, I'd imagine.
                  Bazza gets caught
                  Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Well done. 20% off the asking in a market that's going up. What a negotiator! Had him over a barrel of course didn't you son.

Of course that's pretty much the end of your contracting career. It's in the middle of nowhere. Theres no work down there and your neighbours think the highlight of the year is the Summer Barn dance at Blackawton.
                    You’re quite insane you know sometimes MF. I mean, genuinely what are you thinking kind of mad.

My current contract, looking like a 3 year project, is in London 3 days a week, home 2 days a week. My previous ones, were in Manchester, prior to that Taunton, Edinburgh, Guildford, Munich, Aberdeen, etc, etc, etc. You do get the drift now don’t you? I mean, unless you think it’s impossible to get work out of where you live...

Hang on, don’t you pretend to work in the States?

Farm is in a Hamlet of 3 houses so yes, it’s in the middle of nowhere, which was kind of the plan.

Anyway, thanks. We’ve been thinking about it for a while, even breeding a few ducks and turkeys here, to prepare us for a slightly larger scale. It’s going to be part of a plan B to reduce stress, downsize, try to get zero reliance on the energy companies, reduce our reliance on supermarkets and make a few pounds here and there. Will be out of contracting in 5 years, is the plan, much before if we can. The plan is now, being mortgage free, we can spent a couple of years buying a few flats, and use that as a base for income (gift for the kids). Not being greedy, or having a greedy wife, makes it kind of easier.

Looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                      You’re quite insane you know sometimes MF. I mean, genuinely what are you thinking kind of mad.

My current contract, looking like a 3 year project, is in London 3 days a week, home 2 days a week. My previous ones, were in Manchester, prior to that Taunton, Edinburgh, Guildford, Munich, Aberdeen, etc, etc, etc. You do get the drift now don’t you? I mean, unless you think it’s impossible to get work out of where you live...

Hang on, don’t you pretend to work in the States?

Farm is in a Hamlet of 3 houses so yes, it’s in the middle of nowhere, which was kind of the plan.

Anyway, thanks. We’ve been thinking about it for a while, even breeding a few ducks and turkeys here, to prepare us for a slightly larger scale. It’s going to be part of a plan B to reduce stress, downsize, try to get zero reliance on the energy companies, reduce our reliance on supermarkets and make a few pounds here and there. Will be out of contracting in 5 years, is the plan, much before if we can. The plan is now, being mortgage free, we can spent a couple of years buying a few flats, and use that as a base for income (gift for the kids). Not being greedy, or having a greedy wife, makes it kind of easier.

Looking forward to it.
                      Can't disagree with that.

As it happens, was looking at farms in Somerset last night when you posted this ;-)
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X