• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ok here's a question for you.......

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evil is a religious concept. No such thing. Motives are never really known and far too much time is wasted trying to guess them. Treatment of anyone under the law should be primarily based on an assessment of the threat they represent. It hardly matters if a murder is evil or just insane, while he remains likely to do it again he must be detained. You can hardly blame an ill-treated dog for attacking people but you still put it down.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 18 July 2006, 22:57.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Nobody works at the home office

Originally posted by mcquiggd
      Bah! You work for the home office, dont you?
      Surely that's one of the problems exercising everybody's spleen, isn't it?

Like the sig by the way, you're not selling badges, are you?
      Oh, sudden memory, does anyone else remember the massive proliferation of badges when punk took off? Tee-shirts, jackets, scarves covered in badges, seX PisTOls, Stranglers, God Save the Queen, **** You Grandad etc.
      Oh my god, I have become my father. Shoot me now please.
      Small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts, nurse, nurse............
      the screens please..................
      Why not?

Comment

Best be quite about the small boys in the park
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
          Evil is a religious concept. No such thing. Motives are never really known and far too much time is wasted trying to guess them. Treatment of anyone under the law should be primarily based on an assessment of the threat they represent. It hardly matters if a murder is evil or just insane, while he remains likely to do it again he must be detained. You can hardly blame an ill-treated dog for attacking people but you still put it down.
          Interesting idea Xog. So are you saying then that a sociopath, for instance, is not evil just insane? Do you not think it is possible that science is desperate to put a label on something it can't really explain? A sociopath has absolutely no conscience at all and will do anything to satisfy his own needs or desires, including killing people, yet he may be the product of a happy and stable homelife. As far as I know it is not caused by a temporal imbalance or something similar so could it not just be the case that some people are just born bad?

Also IMHO a badly treated dog that attacks someone should not be put down

Comment

Errm but isn't abnormal psychopathology

Originally posted by John Galt
            Interesting idea Xog. So are you saying then that a sociopath, for instance, is not evil just insane? Do you not think it is possible that science is desperate to put a label on something it can't really explain? A sociopath has absolutely no conscience at all and will do anything to satisfy his own needs or desires, including killing people, yet he may be the product of a happy and stable homelife. As far as I know it is not caused by a temporal imbalance or something similar so could it not just be the case that some people are just born bad?

Also IMHO a badly treated dog that attacks someone should not be put down
            caused by neglect during very specific periods in a child's life?
            I thought that was why there was a rise of non-empathetic people throughout the population, because badly-raised children become parents who raise their own children badly?
            Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
              Agreed. Evil is a value based concept rooted in religion. Even Hitler thought he was a good man, and so did the people who followed him.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                The Road to Hell is paved with Good Intent...
                ... and that should be inscribed on the wall of every parliament building in the world!

Comment

Working...
                X