• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Things Contractors should know, research for articles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Jeez you guys all seem to be free horse dentists...

He had the decency to ask, he could have mined General for rich source of opinions on chutney, radiators & guys in skirts. But he chose to ask.

How about the
    1. retrospective legislation (BN66)
    2. Dubious legisltion IR35, Offshoring
    3. ICT abuse
    4. Security clearance

more about rate setting, interviewing, career direction & CVs

more on opportunities coming up

spoof on the perfect agent. i.e. one that actually phones you back. I can just imagine, "the names Gone......................Jobs Gone"

etc
    That's a point, how many times have I read about a poster complaining about ICT's, here is a prefect chance for us to get someone to write about it.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      Jeez you guys all seem to be free horse dentists...

He had the decency to ask, he could have mined General for rich source of opinions on chutney, radiators & guys in skirts. But he chose to ask.

How about the
      1. retrospective legislation (BN66)
      2. Dubious legisltion IR35, Offshoring
      3. ICT abuse
      4. Security clearance

more about rate setting, interviewing, career direction & CVs

more on opportunities coming up

spoof on the perfect agent. i.e. one that actually phones you back. I can just imagine, "the names Gone......................Jobs Gone"

etc
      If he had sense he could have mined all the boards and written articles from the info - he clearly doesn't. I wonder if Dodgy is literate. ...
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        That's a point, how many times have I read about a poster complaining about ICT's, here is a prefect chance for us to get someone to write about it.
        And our govt, in the pockets of big companies looking for cheap labour, to act on it.

Comment

I was hoping for better abuse

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Piss off.
          I'm slightly disappointed by the quality of abuse I've received from SueEllen, perhaps I could give some examples of abuse I have received and treasured ?

Professor Baroness Susan Greenfield, then Director of the Royal Institution, world authority on neurophysiology referred to me publicly as an "autistic Daily Mail reader"

Professor John Cleese called me a "Dick Head" in the filming of The 3rd Secret Policeman's Ball

Professor William Perraudin now of Imperial College asked me "wouldn't you be happier doing something you are good at ?" when confronted with a paper I wrote on economics.

Professor Nicholas Nassim Taleb, author of "The Black Swan" and various other tomes on the philosophy of probability called my view on the application of Goedel's Incompleteness theorem, "even by your standards, pathetically naive"

One illustration I did for an article on graphics benchmarks was called by Charles Maclellan, Art Director of PC Magazine "the worst image ever to appear on a computer screen" and was stuck up in the art department as an example of something that must never be done again. The BBC once ran a news time on sick images on the Internet that included one that was my face.

The Lord Commissioner for the Reduction of the National debt (yes that's a real job title), called one of my VBA macros "just tulip"

I've got plenty more.

I appreciate you do not yet enjoy the status of the fine people who have taken the trouble to explain their views of my competency and allure, but if I could ask you to put a little more effort into your abuse ?
          My 12 year old is walking 26 miles for Cardiac Risk in the Young, you can sponsor him here

Comment

I have been 'invited' by an agent to contribute a chapter to a book about testing. The agent starts by saying I've been selected as a recognised expert in the testing field (first he licks my arse so I know he's going to ask for something), then says this will help to raise my profile as a testing expert in the market. I suspect he actually wants me to help raise his profile in the market in return for the princely sum of 0.00 euros.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I think the topics that contractors need to know about have changed. In the past it would be "should I get a Ferrari or a Porsche", "5 bedroomed vs 6 bedroomed house", "choosing between numerous offers", these days I think burning topics are "what to do on the bench", "getting that first permie job" or "campsites near the client".
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Short and sharp normally gets the point across quickly.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I think an article about how to post on public forums without getting too savaged would be a good one.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    I certainly the topics that contractors need to know about have changed. In the past it would be "should I get a Ferrari or a Porsche", "5 bedroomed vs 6 bedroomed house", "choosing between numerous offers", these days I think burning topics are "what to do on the bench", "getting that first permie job" or "campsites near the client".
                    Look at Suity; he's ended up 'restoring a classic audi', in other words, trying to keep an ancient worn out rustbucket on the road because he can't afford a decent car any more. Says it all about present day contracting really.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                      I have been 'invited' by an agent to contribute a chapter to a book about testing. The agent starts by saying I've been selected as a recognised expert in the testing field (first he licks my arse so I know he's going to ask for something), then says this will help to raise my profile as a testing expert in the market. I suspect he actually wants me to help raise his profile in the market in return for the princely sum of 0.00 euros.
                      you shown him that cartoon 'if plastic surgeons were web designers' someone posted months ago.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X